Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2120 08/19/03 03:10 AM
Idaho
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
Idaho
Just wondered if those of you who have pumped long term EVER got over the tiredness. I go to bed at 11:30 pm, and get up at 8 or 8:30 am and am still just beat. I do wake once in the night to use the bathroom and hand express just for 5 minutes. But I fall right back asleep as soon as I get back to bed.

In the past when I was nursing a baby I thought I was tired because of the baby waking me a lot. But I have no baby now---maybe it is more the prolactin levels... I used to have energy for projects, cooking, gardening, etc.

But now besides pumping all I do is the bare minimum-- getting meals on the table...reading to my little ones...and of course laundry and dishes, etc... I guess the good thing about that is I actually sit still long enough now to play games with my kids.... before I was always busy, busy busy. But I am sick of feeling so exhausted all the time....Anyone have any suggestions?

Mary in Idaho, mom to 7, including 2 from Korea, and Emily Zion (1�) coming home from Ethiopia in February!
extra helpful experienced member
It does get better after awhile, but I do, often, find myself still tired. I have gotten into the habit of taking naps when Daphne does, when I can. She goes down around 1:30, and it's the 2 PM pumping that I find myself the most tired, sometimes almost falling asleep while pumping. There have been a few times where I finished pumping and just laid down right there on the floor for a few. Usually I lay down by 3 PM or so, though. But the tiredness was worse in the beginning. I think my body has somewhat adjusted to the increased prolactin levels.
I wish I had some suggestions for you. All I can say is hang in there!

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Ladies,

Normally I'd suggest a nap but if you have children running around...ha ha good luck with that idea.

Well, luckily we can have 2-3 cups of coffee per day or I'd fall on my face. Lately, now that I'm 5 months into the protocol with big boobs that want desperately to be drained...I find I'm a bit more tired than I was in the beginning. When I was studying for the IBCLC exam I found out that 2-3 cups of coffee per day is fine, more than that may affect your milk supply because caffeine is a diuretic.

When you're breastfeeding the suggestion is to breastfeed first, and then have your coffee....makes sense for two reasons....first, the caffeine is metabolized pretty quickly so better to have empty breasts and second...you avoid the possibility of splashing some of that hot coffee on your baby.

Exercise is another "pickerupper" but also hard with kids. I'm happy if I can find 5 min to take a shower.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi,
I have been fatigued for the entire last year, between the protocol and pumping,,,working night shifts do not help either.
I feel so tired at times that I am even wondering how I will care for Ana when she is home,,,I have to keep telling myself it is just my prolactin levels. You would think that will all this fatigue I would be pumping ton's of milk,,,not fair that I have so much fatigue and only 1/2 ounce a day!! My husband is pretty used to seeing my on the couch lying down whenever I can.
Lenore, should I stop pumping soon and then redo the protocol around January? I will definately not use the Diane this time I would use the Necon or Ortho,,,maybe the side effects would not be too bad this time. I need to lose at least 30 lbs between now and then, I could not possibly gain any more weight on top of the weight I already gained.
Lenore, glad you are having such a good response this time also on the meds...won't be long now! Thanks, Cathy

Idaho
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
Idaho
Lenore, I have switched to decaf coffee so as not to have caffeinated milk in the freezer for my baby. I always understood that the caffeine *did* get into the breast milk. Is there new research on this topic that you could share with me? Would love to be drinking the regular brew with my hubby, but I don't want a sleepless baby when she arrives home....

Mary in Idaho, mom to 7, including 2 from Korea, and Emily Zion (1�) coming home from Ethiopia in February!
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Cathy,

The main problem for you was that pump. I believe that your breasts involuted before you could get them going. You really need to get hold of a new pump in style. Or rent a Symphony. Dr. Hartmann's research led to the development of the Symphony. When I visited the lab they explained the idea behind it...it's quite interesting.

As for the coffee, if you pump first and then drink it, it metabolizes quite rapidly so that very little if any ends up in the milk. Caffeine is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use by breastfeeding mothers and is used to regulate apnea in preemies. You can find all this stuff in Thomas Hale's book "Mediations and Mother's Milk", 2002.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Lenore,
I had my PIS tested with a manometer and they said the suction level was fine. I also rented a Lactina 2 weeks after stopping the protocol and had the same results. I have actually found the Avent Isis to get more out than my PIS, even if I put the avent petal insert in the PIS I still get less out than with the actual Avent.
So,,,I should stop pumping now, go on the protocol again?
I dread more weight gain and the depression again..but I will do it if I would think I could actually produce more next time. I don't think I respond well to the pump, it was just tugging at my nipples...I even pumped every hour on the hour at times and had no increase.
How long do you think I would need the protocol this time?
if my prolactin level is not high, how come I am so tired? Is it just the domperidone?
I could rent a Symphony, def. could not buy, one I have heard they are 700 dollars....
Thanks for the input,,,Cathy

#2127 08/20/03 02:31 AM
Mass
Mass
HI,
I just wanted to say that I myself have priced the Symphony the price is at $1200! Definitely worth just a rental here...
Your probably right too,everybodys bodies react so differently to different pumps,what "works"for one may not work for the other.
I would say that if the Avent pump is giving you better results,stay with what is working for you. If you find in the near future that the manual pumping is getting tiresome,I would at that point invest in either a rental or purchase another pump.
Hope this was of help,
Rachel

Bio mom to 7 dd is now 17 months!
#2128 08/21/03 04:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mary, Dawn, and Cathy,
Ditto on being tired. It will usually hit me at an afternoon pump. This afternoon it came on full force and I was very brave and layed down while my son watched a favorite show. Well you guessed it I woke up to a mess. I won't give details but boy did I learn my lesson.

Coffee is not an option for me for religious reasons so I think that I will try exercise I need more of it anyway. Lenore would walking count as good enough exercise to help with the tiredness?

Thanks,
Bella

#2129 08/21/03 05:26 AM
Bella,
Are you Morman?? I know they stay away from Coffee.I am not Morman but still can't drink coffee. I am allergic to it

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.