photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2178 08/22/03 09:16 PM
OP Offline
I will start pumping on Monday and wanted to know what brand of bag is the best for freezing milk? I know I won't get a whole lot for a while, but wanted to be a step ahead. I am using a Medela PIS and thought I read somewhere that there were other brands out there that people preferred more. I am anxiously ready to start the pumping portion and yet nevous for it to go well.
How often and for how long should I be pumping at first?

Many thanks.
Kellie

Kellie from CA Mom to Delaney (in heaven), Sean (5) and Molly (GS) on 9/20
Mass
Mass
HI,
I have heard the Gerber liners were pretty good.
I personally like the storage bottles myself,but,in the past,I have had the experience with the Avent liners(extemely disliked,most of them would leak on me),the Gerber(great,never leaked once),the Medela,(also good leaked once or twice),Playtex(about the same as the Medela).
I hope I was able to help at least with the storage issue,I'll let someone else answer your questions about how ofter you should be pumping,i'm not sure on the answers,I'm a re-lactating bio mom.
Sincerely,
Rachel

Bio mom to 7 dd is now 17 months!
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
I found the Gerber bags to be the best, but when you start pumping a lot, they can get expensive. So if you want a cheaper solution, too, I have also used the cheapo, generic brand liners from WalMart. I just double bag them, fold down the top, and staple it. It also worked great, and I have never had a problem using either of these bags.
As for how often, and how long, you should be pumping, you may want to start out slow. You should work your way to pumping at least 6-8 times a day, if you can, and the duration of pumping should be 10-20 minutes. Don't go on full suction, especially when you first start out, as you can harm yourself if you are not used to it. What I did was just start out 6 times a day right away, and have always pumped 15 continuous minutes each time. Some people recommend pumping 5-7 minutes, taking a 3-5 minute break, and then pump another 5-7 minutes. This can help acheive another letdown. I found, though, that if I just pumped for 15 minutes straight, I ususually have another letdown after 10 or 15 minutes. So each person is different. Find out what is comfortable for you, because that is the most important thing. You don't want pumping to turn into a pain in the butt. I just sit down in the front room in front of the tv and pump away.
Good Luck! And hopefully I answered your question.

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.