Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17098 08/20/14 04:28 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to write this out here to see if anyone else has run into this issue. I'm certain I can't be the only one.

I started pumping on July 23 and have been doing everything "right". I mainly use a Medela Freestyle Pump.

My supply hasn't really built up at all. Once the milk started dripping into the bottle I started to collect it and after the first 4 days I had collected 5 mL - so I froze (hey - every bit helps!). The next 4 days I collected the same although I had expected there to be a change.

However, the following 4 days the little bit of milk that I did have started to disappear. I panicked and decided to rent the Medela Symphony - it could be the pump right? Nope! It got worse! It damn near disappeared entirely!

So then I REALLY panicked and started using the symphony followed by the Freestyle. The Freestyle would get milk after the Symphony hadn't but not vice versa. So for me, the Symphony was a no go. But the Freestyle wasn't working so well either.

So I went back to my lactation doc (who is an IBCLC trained LC as well) in tears not knowing what to do. During the physical examination of my breasts she squeezed them and one squirted clear across the room and hit the wall!

There's milk!

I laughed, then cried, then cried harder because I didn't understand what I was doing wrong.

The running theory is that the pumps just won't work for me. Or, at least, the Medela pumps won't but around here that's all you can rent so it's those or nothing because it's not in the budget to buy another type of pump "just in case."

So my doc wants me to hand express instead. Apparently I gave her quite the look of disbelief because she laughed at me and told me she had the same problem and assured me that some women do just that - and that I'll be fine until the baby comes along.

So I've been working at it, but wow my breasts are sore! To be more specific - my milk ducts are sore! At first I thought it was let down pain but I'm not so sure. I think the ducts are just getting used to being used (is that possible?).

I called in some reinforcements today with another LC (that my doc works with) for a formal lesson and she was great - she worked with me until we found my "sweet spot" that makes my breasts spray but that is super hard to collect so I'm using a slightly less messy technique.

Since I started hand expressing (on Thursday, August 14th) I've already improved my output so this is obviously better. Not by much (getting about 0.8 mL from 2 breasts per session right now, but it's better than what I was getting before, as pathetic and minuscule as that sounds).

I'm also continuing to pump a couple times per day for adding stimulation, but my doc said to focus on breast emptying as best I can more than the pumping.

Anyway, this is obviously NOT what I bargained for or had in mind and further complicates an already complicated process. Not to mention it's so much more time consuming! (Why can't things just be easy for once?)

But I thought that others may have the same troubles and that this may help someone, and surely someone else can commiserate with me?

Jalara
aka - super tired hands girl

M
M
Hi Jalara

I feel what you are going through as I went through something very similar. I also used the Symphony as I was under the impression that would be the best option. I think it just didn't work for me as I always had milk to hand express after my pumping session. I had to make the difficult decision of weaning off pumping as it was really getting in the way of my relationship with my son. I managed to collect 30/40ml in 4 days so he got that for around a month. I just didn't think it was worth the heartache with such a small amount. I stopped pumping about a week and a half ago but there is still milk in my breasts whenever I squeeze them to see if it's dried up. If you can keep it up and try different pumps I think it'll definitely be worth it and hopefully your supply will build up. sending positive vibes your way xxx

Moona

extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Okay.. there is hope! I Went through the same thing! I used the OLDER medela pump. It gave me more control. The yellow face 5 speeds. I could control the suction and speed so much better. Try this. Get a pumping bra. The one that looks like a tube top. It can be put on over your top. Before pumping. ... apply warm moist wash rags on your breasts. Then remove them. Massage your breasts, starting at the chest muscle in gentle circular motions til your at the nipple. Gently roll your nipple. Now, bend forward and shake your shoulders.. it helps milk to come down. It does not matter your breast size. Apply warm moist heat again. Then attach your horns in your bra. Start pumping lightly... give it a few minutes and make the suction stronger. You do NOT want to go more than MEDIUM. It can damage your nipples and tissues. Make them swell up and nothing will come out. Now IGNORE the pumping. Surf the net while you pump. If you do this before each pumping. Your body will settle down. Your ducts are to sore and swollen right now. After pumping then apply warm moist rags again. Then gently hand express. The milk is there. Your tense and so is your breast. I can help you with this if you will allow me to. How many times are you pumping a day?

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
J
OP Offline
J
Hi!

Moona - it sounds like we are in the same boat almost exactly. Can I ask if you noticed a change in your supply when your son was born? I keep hoping that once the baby comes (any time now!) that my supply will increase. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Nona - thank you so much, but I really don't think inflammation is the problem. I never used high settings on the pumps and I always tried to watch TV or surf the net while pumping.

I'm still hand expressing, and have gone from 5mL every 4 days to 25mL. So expressing has certainly helped the supply, but it's still not great.

I tried pumping yesterday, for the first time in a month. Nothing happened at all and it was very uncomfortable. I followed with hand expression and was able to get the usual amount (about 1mL).

I did notice that I'm not taking as much Domperidone as others are though. My doc only has me taking 20mg every 6 hours. I have an appointment with her on Monday so I'm going to ask her to increase it. I'm not sure if she will though - the last time I saw her she wanted to add Maxeran to the mix (aka Metoclopramide) and didn't even mention increasing the Dom so my guess is she considers 20 mg to be the max dose for her patients. I'd love to hear some opinions and thoughts on this. TIA!

J
OP Offline
J
I just wanted to pop in and give an update to my situation.

I saw my doc again today. She agreed to up my Domperidone to the 120mg (slowly) as long as I don't have any ill side effects. Apparently I'm the first person she's ever elevated to this dose and she wasn't very comfortable doing it, but she agreed to nonetheless. If we don't see a difference in my supply in 3 weeks I'm to add Maxeran (she gave me a prescription for that as well). I'm not very keen on taking that but will if I have to.

She also asked me to add the pumping back in to the hand expression. So here we go again!

C
C
I would recommend trying a different size or type of flange for the pump. Many women find their nipples are compressed or restricted in a regular 24 mm size flange. I would recommend connecting with the facebook group "Adoptive Breastfeeding" as this is a topic often discussed there. You do need to have permission to join but it's been a great supportive community for me.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.