photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DawnL Offline OP
extra helpful experienced member
OP Offline
Hopefully, I am still early in asking this question, but how the heck do you pack a breastpump? Just pack it in the suitcase? I am planning on bringing my Avent in my carryon, just in case I need to pump somewhere. I think I may be fine until I get to the hotel room. Dh thinks I will be fine. But then, hopefully they won't lose my luggage!
Our BMs due date is Oct 31st, and we are thinking that I will fly out when she goes into labor, or a couple of days before her due date, whichever is first. So there is the potential that I may be there a few days before she goes into labor, but I am thinking we will probably be getting a phone call telling us she's in labor. She went a week early last time.
So, I am trying to plan our trip ahead of time as much as possible. I will fly out first, and then dh and dd will follow after the birth. We are still trying to decide if they are going to fly, or drive. If they drive, we will all drive back in our van. So I may be having to try to feed the baby in the van, too.
Anyway, right now I am mostly concerned about what to do with my breastpump. I can't carry it on, and not have anything else for carryon. What should I do?

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dawn,
I just flew a month ago and took a backpack (as a purse) and a carry on (one of those that rolls) The rules states each passenger was allowed one personal bag and a carry on. Could you do that and put the pump in the back pack? If we match with an out of state expectant mother that's what I'll be doing. I put the carry on above and slid the back pack under the seat in front of me. Check the airlines web site. Good luck!!

Jen
Adopting another baby...
this time a nursling : )

DawnL Offline OP
OP Offline
Are you talking about putting the pump in style in the backpack? Would it fit? Or are you talking about just my Avent pump? I am sure that would fit in a backpack. I am not sure if the PIS would fit in a backpack, at least not the one I have. But it may fit in the carryon I have.
Thanks for the tip. I need all the advice I can get!

Dawn, I have a PIS, and it will fit in a back pack for carryon. (usually the stewards will ask you to put back packs and purses under your seat) I thought of doing this since we will be going to Sweden, and I to will need to take my pump. HTH.

Melissa IM to Nicole Our Baby is Due October 25, 2003
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi,
When I was pumping I took my Avent handpump in my carry on backpack and went into the airport bathroom and pumped.
How long is the flight? I am sure you could just hand pump or hand express to get you through several hours. I also used the airplane restroom to pump during the flight to Guatemala.
Contratulations on your match , how exciting..take care, Cathy

Dawn,
Yes, I was talking about putting the PIS in the backpack. It's been awhile since I've seen one in person, but I *think* it would fit. Might even be worth it to spend $20 or so on a new backpack to be sure you have your PIS with you. (if the backpack you currently have is too small)

Jen Mommy to two precious sons (2.5 and 16 mo) adopting one more...this time a nursling
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Ladies,

I just took mine with me. I have the Pump in Style Travelor which is in a back pack. Took that and a fanny pack and my laptop. If you tell them you're pumping, they don't say a thing. I was told that breastpumps are allowed on board. The Pump in Style has a battery pack. I pumped on board. You can't hear it cause the plane is so loud. Just take the window seat, put a blanket over you and no one can see anything.

Hope this helps. Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
DawnL Offline OP
OP Offline
OMG! Lenore, you actually pumped at your seat?!?
I was thinking of taking it into the bathroom or something. I will be nursing in public, I am sure, but I can't imagine pumping in public.
I have this big travel bag, with a handle and wheels, and a zip-off backpack. I figure I can put the PIS and the baby's diaper bag, among other things, into the big back, and my purse and other stuff in the backpack portion. Now that we know that dh and dd are driving out a few days after me, I will take the nice, airplane friendly bag with me.
Thanks for all the tips, ladies!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey kids, Just thought I'd mention that you should be prepared to have the security folks ask what that thing is ... anything with a motor raises suspicions. Be prepared to plug it in to demonstrate the suction. (Believe me, most of those folks have no interest in a *real* demonstration, although it can be amusing to offer!)

Canada
L
L
Canada
Yep. Pumped right at my seat. You can't see a thing. I also pumped in the car, in restaurants, in the little computer cubicles in airports. Just plugged in and put a blanket over and I was set to go. Much easier in fact than breastfeeding because you don't have a squirming, screaming, noisy infant to deal with and call attention to yourself.

This evening I had to breastfeed in a restaurant for the first time with Ethan. I sat in the corner seat and just did what I had to do. No one saw anything. When the baby's latched you can't see. When the pump is on you, you can't see. Don't make an issue and no one will notice.

As for the pump going through the airport...apparently they allow breastpumps. It really wasn't a problem.

fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.