photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3745 05/19/04 03:57 AM
OP Offline
Is it possible for a baby to be alergic to mom's milk ? I ask because when I breastfeed or thaw my frozen milk my DD is REALLY fussy afterwards and is REALLY hard to burp. She also doesn't like to go to sleep afterwards. Now the other day I supplimented with formula, (we were out the entire day and powder was easier to travel with) and she was such a pleasant baby no screaming easy burping and she would eat and go to sleep. She just seemed to "relaxed" compared to the frozen milk.

I have been watching my diet and haven't had caffine or anything like that so I don't think it has anything to do with that.

Savannah Rose Marie due April 13, 04 via TS
rocken_robin26 #3746 05/31/04 10:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[color:"blue"] [/color] I nursed my son and at 6 weeks, after a stay at the hospital for 3 days, that is the conculsion the doctors came too. He was in fact on Nutramigen for 15 months... So though rare, it does happen!

[color:"blue"] [/color]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Robin,

There is a condition known as galactasemia where the baby is unable to process human milk. This is usually diagnosed at birth. Other than that there has never been a documented case of a baby with true allergy to mother's milk. There are documented cases of the baby reacting to certain things mother ate that end up in her milk. Bovine protein (beef, veal, cheeze, milk) is number one but brocolli, beans, soya lecithin, and several others can also be at issue.

How old is your baby at this point? It's also possible that your milk supply is not maximized yet and baby could simply still be hungry. A baby with gas is fairly easy to burp. A hungry baby is another story.

Frozen milk poses another issue. Sometime the lactase enzyme in frozen milk causes a breakdown of milk products that can cause a fussy baby. One way to deal with this is to scald the milk on the stove before bagging it and freezing it. This gets rid of the enzyme and seems to lessen its effect. If milk is already frozen (ie from a donor) you can scald before serving to baby but be sure to let the milk cool sufficiently before feeding to baby. You can scald it and then put the pot in an ice bath using frozen gel packs in a sink filled with cold water.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.