California
C
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
C
California
Ladies,
Any input on your experiences would be appreciated on this: I am noticing my son to be developing what seems to be small breasts ... what I'm thinking is it is simply nice chubby, baby fat ... though I just want to make sure it is not the Domperidone trace amounts he is getting through my breast milk. Has anyone seen this?

Mahalo.
Christina

Christina ~ Wife of Henry, Jr. and mother of Henry III, born with the help of our Angel/GS
Y
Y
Christina,

I had an intoductory session with our future pediatrician who told me that the Dom is an approved drug by the AAP. I am sure this has changed after the FDA warning.

But I would think that your pediatrician would know if the baby's chest was abnormal. Based on the research I did on the inernet, affects from breastmilk on infants are still unknown.

In the FDA excerpt I posted yesterday,the issue of concern was that women were doubling the max reommended dose of 80 mg/day resulting in adverse effects. Also, the amount secreted in breastmilk is about 1/4 the amount in the mother's blood stream.

I would say the best thing would be to see your child's pediatrician. If the doc is not aware of the Dom, then can they research or consult with the colleagues for you? If not, you might want to consider seeing another perdiatrician that knows about the Dom and can help the situation, if there is one. Thats my take on it.

British Columbia, Canada
British Columbia, Canada
I really really doubt it's related to domperidone. Baby boys and girls get swollen breasts from normal hormones as infants. But at the age he is now, it's more likely just weight gain. Domperidone increases the amount of prolactin you make to the levels of another normal lactating woman. It's not a steroid or anything like that.

Kerri

Mama to Cole, Naomi, Adam, and baby Noah All wide-open adoptions through LDS Familiy Services La Leche League Leader and Doula
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Christina,

What you are describing is normal development and not a known side effect of domperidone. Sounds like your baby is doing very well. You should have a nice weight check at your next doctor's visit.

Rule of thumb is that approximately 1% of the maternal dose of any medication ends up in the breastmilk.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for all the input. My assessment is that it is simply his nice chubby stage ... he's got roles everywhere! He is over 17 pounds and just made three months on June 9th! So yes, he's doing well. My production is about 3-4 ounces per day now, and he's latching better, knock on wood! Thanks to some women who cared enough to help me out and/or still are, Henry is still getting about 70% BM each day. What a blessing. He has not been sick once.

Mahalo & Aloha,
Christina

#3939 06/11/04 09:13 AM
California
C
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
C
California
Whoops! Forgot to login!

Mahalo,
Christina

Christina ~ Wife of Henry, Jr. and mother of Henry III, born with the help of our Angel/GS
Canada
L
L
Canada
WOW! And I thought MY baby was big. 17 pounds and you're wondering if he's getting boobs....girl that's not breast tissue. The good news is that a nice big baby like yours who is a rolly polly at this age can expect to have a good cardiac outcome later in life. Research has shown that chubby breastfed babies have fewer cardiac problems later in life.

So keep on doing whatever you're doing. You go girl!!!

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
California
C
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
C
California
Thanks, Lenore! Must be the Hawaiian in him. Last week in a Mommy walking group, I bet a baby boy even bigger than Henry (breastfed). It is great to know about the cardiac benefits, as CV problems run in Henry's family.

Now I am trying to think of creative ways to lift my big little guy while minimizing the strain on my heart (Marfan syndrome). I use the stroller a lot (even in the house) and am trying to find a sling that is good for big babies/easy to put on take off. The Boston Billow also makes holding/feeding him much more easy and cuddly. I'll be sad to say good bye to the infant car seat soon, too. He definitely looked quite different when he was having formula only. Wow, what an amazing change for the better!

Anyway, I'm so grateful to this site, all the wonderful women in this group, and to you, Lenore, for the breastfeeding support.

Mahalo & Aloha,
Christina

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.