Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100 10/01/02 05:09 PM
R
romaine Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I had my baby 7 weeks ago. 5 days after I delivered I became engorged but the milk wouldn't come out even though I tried everything recommended. I believe as a result my milk supply decreased. Because of Dr. Newman and Dr. Goldfarb I decided to try Domperidone. I have been on it a few weeks now and on Saturday one of my breasts became engorged but again I couldn't get the milk to come out. My baby will no longer breastfeed so I have to express with an electrical pump. When I pumped the engorged breast I only got half of what I was getting before. I tried applying warm and cold compresses, hot showers, massage, pumping more often etc... but nothing worked. The engorgment is now subsiding but I am afraid I missed out on the increased milk supply because the milk wouldn't come out via the nipple and so my body's reaction is "the baby didn't need the extra milk so l'm not going to make more". Anyway, I read all sorts of websites about engorgement, plugged ducts, let-down etc.. and they all sound as if you do the massage, warm compresses etc.. then the milk will come out, but it didn't for me. I am hoping the domperidone will continue to kick in and if it does, does anyone out there have any other recommendations if I become engorged again? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,
romaine

Ma,USA
Ma,USA
Hi Romaine and welcome!
My name is Rachel and I am a bio mom to 7 children all of which I nursed. I am currently re-lactating my 6 month old dd and while she will not actually nurse,I pump out the milk and feed it to her.
I was having some problems with my letdown reflex recently.
I think it was just me being stressed out or something.
Now,I'm able to get the milk out but once in a while, as I 'm pumping,the milk stops,I take a deep breathe in and then out trying to relax at all costs!!! This does seem to help. Also,having a glass of water nearby while you pump so you can drink in between may help as well. Some other suggestions, having a picture of your baby in front of you (its supposed to help),making sure you have some oatmeal I would say at least once a day helps too. I hope I have been of some help,
Rachel

Re-Lactating Bio mom to 6 month old dd currently a little over 16 ounces a day!!!!! :0)
PA, United States
PA, United States
I am wondering if your baby is latching on properly. You said you were able to get milk out using a pump but that the baby is refusing to nurse? Have you checked with a lactation consultant so she can check your baby's latch? Also have you considered using a supplementar just to get your baby used to nursing again? Perhaps the flow of expressed milk or formula from the tubing while nursing will be enough to convince your little one to take the breast again. Just a thought.

Don't get discouraged though you are doing an awesome job trying to provide your baby with breast milk and any little bit you give will only benefit your baby.

Best of luck and hope this helps.
Susan

Susan
Mom to Belle and Evan both who benefited from the protocol. And Xander the breastfeeding wonder!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.