Page 2 of 2 1 2
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi everyone,

I just want to let everyone know that the reason the email bounces is that my laptop crashed just as I arrived in Washington for the ASRM meeting. I ended up having to drive to an all night WallMart in nearby Virginia where I was able to pick up a rather inexpensive replacement laptop. But I had no access to any of my emails. Finally Lalle was able to get through and alert me to this post. Here is my reply:

The baby is back to birth weightand a little beyond which is what we like to see by this time. Supplementing with breastmilk is gemerally preferable to supplementing with artificial infant milk. Adding 2 oz of formula in a 24 hour period would be equivalent to just adding a breastfeed which is what we recommended.

Based on past experience with other adoptive mothers who have tested their milk which showed there is virtually no difference between their milk and that of an average post partum mother, it's doubtful the problem is caloric content of the breastmilk. However, without actually testing your milk we can't prove it. But if your doctor is concerned, the milk can be sent to a lab for testing as to protein and fat content.

In the meantime, please feed as often as possible. Use breast compression to assist milk flow and contact a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) to come and do a home visit and show you how to supplement with your own breastmilk at the breast with the supplemeter which is the best way to do it because bottles are the fastest way off the breast. There are things we can do before we run to the bottle which carries health risks of it's own. But we do need to keep an eye on baby's weight. The priority is to feed your baby. The two ounces proposed of formula is equivalent to just one extra breastfeed. It's not our policy to formula-feed unless absolutely necessary. But your doctor may have other reasons for recommending this that we're not aware of.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor and please keep us posted on your progress.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
K
KJP Offline
K
It is unlikely that your baby is getting a foremilk imbalance. Foremilk has more calories than hindmilk - one of the main ways you know the baby is getting an imbalance is that they gain a lot of weight very quickly. So since your baby is gaining a small/moderate amount, I'm guessing it's not an imbalance.

If it were me, I wouldn't add formula. Your plan sounds like a good one - feed often skintoskin and pump afterwards. You can offer the baby the pumped milk, as well, after a feeding, if you think it's needed. The baby's not losing weight - you're doing great!

Co-breastfeeding mom to our son. Co-foster-mom to 7 previous babies.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.