Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TamaraP Offline OP
OP Offline
T
One friend told me she got almost none using herbs only. Any success stories out there using only herbs? I'm really scared of meds.
Thanks!
-Tamara

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Tamara I was really scared of meds too. ( I still hardly use an aspirin) I used a lact-aid and took mothers Milk tincture from the day she was born. I produced a miniscule amount. I added domperidone still using the lact-aid for all feeds. I think I topped out at about 1/3 of her needs. I then went on the accelerated protocol for 42 days, once I stopped the pill and started pumping after feeds and when I was away from her, I could get 1-2 oz per pumping. If you have no contraindications to the Pill I would suggest doing one of the protocols. It is so worth it.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
T
TamaraP Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Laurie - Thanks for the info. So you took the Pill while continuing to nurse? I always imagined that was a choice I had to make before the baby arrived. After the pill you went back on domperidone?
Thanks,
Tamara

Idaho
Idaho
I didn't know about the protocol when I started nursing. My only info came from the "Womanly art of Breastfeeding" book, which basically say to nurse with a lact-aid device. I researched herbs as I am already into the herbal scene. So then through another site I heard about Dom and decided to add it. I added the pill while continuing to nurse and take the dom. My DD was over a year at that time but still getting most of her nourishment at the breast and she had milk issues so I wanted her to have as much breastmilk as possible. After the protocol we quit using the lact-aid and I continued nursing until she was just under 2. I became pregnant 5 months prior to that and at the point she stopped nursing I was in my 5th month.
So yes, you can do the protocol after baby is in your arms. You have to feed with a supplemental nursing system until your milk is established. Have you read over the protocols? They are here http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/abindex.html Under ADOPTIVE BREASTFEEDING

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
K
K
I was worried about the birth control and domperidone too. I tried using only herbs and the lactaid and only could produce 1/2 ounce at each pumping. (This was after my daughter was born, before she arrived I could only pump a few drops.) I decided to try taking Dom, and once I did my milk supply really picked up. I had absolutely no side effects to the medication and now I have weaned myself down to a few pills a day. I should be done taking it in a couple weeks (my daughter is just over 3 months). I'm so glad that I started taking it. It's so much easier to nurse without the lactaid. Anyway, that's how it worked for me. I've heard of people being able to nurse using only herbs, but I don't think they had a full milk supply and I think it was a lot more work.

T
TamaraP Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for your post, Katie. One friend told me she had to stay on Domperidone the whole time she nursed. But I guess that's not true for you? Like Domp gets it going but then your body kicks in and the baby nursing keeps it going even without the meds? Were you able to ditch supplementation of any kind once the Domp got going? Did you do the birth control also, or just Domp? Sorry to hound you with questions! I really appreciate your post!
-Tamara

A
A
Here is a success story with just herbs, so I guess they work for some people. http://www.preciouskids.org/adopt/nursingjournal.html.

This is a long journal of someone's nursing experience. Even tho herbs alone have not worked for me I got a lot out of reading it.

K
K
Yes, the Dom got my milk going and then I didn't need to supplement with the lactaid anymore. I think having my baby nurse as much as possible and using a lactaid instead of bottles helped too. Now I think my body has adapted to my baby's needs so I am cutting back on the Dom. So far the process has gone well and I haven't noticed any decrease in milk supply (baby seems satisfied and her cheeks keep growing!) Hopefully I'll be able to stop taking it completely in a couple of weeks. I'm taking it slow just to be safe. I never did take birth control or do the protocol. And I tried herbs for a month before she was born (while pumping) and didn't seem to notice a difference, so I quit taking them. I'm not sure if my experience is common or not. It's just what I felt I could do at the time and it seemed to work for me. And it has been so wonderful to nurse this precious little girl. She loves nursing so much that sometimes she giggles when I start to lift my shirt. The reward is so worth the work it takes to get there!

MA
M
M
MA
Hi,
I just registered and am very overwhelmed by all this and looking for support and help.
I am expecting a baby via a surrogate late next month and recently decided i wanted to breastfeed. I have a 4 year old boy that i delivered and breastfed successfully and had a huge milk supply.
I started pumping and taking fenugreek (probably not enough) but have noticed heaviness, sensitivity in my breast after only one week of pumping 10min, 4-5 times a day.
After 10 years of major fertility drugs and meds. i am so timid about taking any drugs but feel like i am going to be disappointed if i dont. Do you think i should start Dom. in order to produce milk and am i too late?!?
I cannot take the bcp. because i am on Metforim for pcos ( and I've heard that medtformin isnt bad, and wont slow down my processes at all).
I am so confused and i feel the clock ticking! I really want to do this.
I would love a response from someone.
thanks and good luck to all!

S
S
I haven't been here in a while. I did not use dom or anything else and I eventually got plenty of milk, at least by my standards. My experience may not be common but perhaps informative. When my daughter was born a friend from church who is a nurse (also a biological and adoptive mom who nursed all her children) who is also a lactation counselor advised me to never use the binky and just let my baby suck my breasts. She said it would be great for bonding and I just might get some milk. She came over and taught me the right way. Both my husband and my families are from the west indies and our mothers seemed to think that getting milk would be no problem. My mom and his mom told me to massage my breasts in the shower, rub them with cocoa butter and use heat compresses. I did drink a lot of fluids and used fenugreek. They just told me the milk would come. Please know that unlike others I had no problem using formula. I didn't use any lact-aid or anything. I really wasn't looking to nourish her, just enjoy the bonding. My daughter seemed to "nurse" around the clock. When we went out I brought a bottle to feed her and sometimes when she was finished I gave her my nipple. I always gave her the breast to comfort her as my friend suggested. My husband called me "the human binky". However, eventually milk came in. I started noticing my breasts becoming warm and then they seemed to get hard. I also noticed throbbing sometimes. I started pumping with a Pump in style a few times a day if she was sleeping or not interested, which was not often. My daughter was a very vigourous sucker and was better than a pump. Once the milk came in she got some milk she really got into it. We live in a university town where extended bf'ing is the norm. She is still enjoys nursing a few times a day at age 4. I bf'd our second child as well. Again I also used formula sometimes. As they begin to wean I am hoping to be able keep the milk flowing until we adopt again. For me there was nothing like having my child at my breast. I just enjoyed the experience. The milk was a bonus. I am not telling you to not use the Dom or other hormones. I was fortunate enough not to need them. However I have no idea what my body make-up is that may have contributed to my success. I would say that you should "nurse" your child as often as you can no matter what.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.