Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a 3 week old baby but I am not producing enough milk? I pumped approx 8 times in 24 hours. I am having a lot of problem with the latching on and decided I would only pump. I pumped about 20 Ounce a day but baby consumes about 28 ounce. Any suggestions on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Tish

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Tish I would see a LC and get your latch worked out that is the best way to keep up with baby's demands. I am assuming this is your birth child. How long are you pumping each time and what pump are you using?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Tish,

It's important to arrange for a home visit with a board certified lactation consultant who can assist you with the latch. Breastfeeding is far easier than pumping/bottles, washing, sterilizing. Once you and your baby get the hang of it, it's really quite rewarding. And your milk supply should improve because babies are the best "pumps". You can find a board certified lactation consultant here: www.ilca.org Just click on the "find a lactation consultant" button at the top of the page.

You can also use herbs like fenugreek and blessed thistle to help your milk supply but number one is to fix the latch and enjoy your baby.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello Lenore & All,

Thank you so much for the information; I am taking fenugreek( just bought the 610mg today) and blessed thistle. I am using the electric pump medela and I pumped for 15mins every 2 1/2- 3 1/2hrs; 8 times within 24 hours. I do have a lactation consultant coming to see on sunday. The last time she was her she didn't seem too hopeful, I hope on sunday it will be a better visit. I am the birth mother.

Thank you,
Tish

Idaho
Idaho
Tish if your LC is not hopeful I would look for someone else. Since you are the birth mother unless there is a physical reason that you cannot nurse (and it doesn't sound lie you do) then you should be able to nurse. Getting your latch down is key. Keep trying. Did you have a traumatic birth? any placenta issues?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
L
L
Canada
How did the visit go on Sunday?

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Lenore 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.