Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#10122 11/15/07 10:26 PM
Arkansas, USA
L
OP Offline
L
Arkansas, USA
My husband and I are adopting and I really want to breastfeed. We don't have insurance yet, and the clinic here won't give us BC since we aren't going to use it "correctly". We want to do things as naturally as possible, but also would like to see results fairly soon. Any thoughts?

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
I am attempting to induce lactation but can't take bcp's for medical reasons. After doing lots of research, I have been using domperidone and goat's rue. Now that I am producing drops of milk(in less than 2 weeks of pumping), I have started Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek. We are expecting our baby in June with a gestational surrogate carrying our bundle of joy. You can do it!!

Also you might get in contact with a local chapter of La Leche League who may be able to tell you of health care professional who support induced lactation.

Good Luck!!!

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
Arkansas, USA
L
OP Offline
L
Arkansas, USA
so, you are just taking domperidone? and the goat's rue? see, i am just not sure that i will be able to get a prescription for that. we live in a small town in arkansas and everyone that i talk to about inducing lactation has no idea what i'm talking about. do i have to take domperidone to induce?

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Domperidone can be bought online with out a prescription and goats rue is an herb that you will probably have to buy online too unless you have a health food store nearby.
In my opinion if you want milk you are going to have to take something. The BC pill and Domperidone are part of the protocol plus herbs after you stop the pill and still take Dom. I tired it with just herbs and a lact-aid and while I produced a little it wasn't much at all. I added dom and produced a bit more. I did the protocol and produced enough to give up supplement. It really is up to you how much you do. Print off the protocols and take them into your health care provider and ask again. You will still have to get your domperidone online as it isn't sold in the US. But you can educate them with the info that you can print off of this site on the protocols They can't argue that is would be best for any baby to have breastmilk.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Arkansas, USA
L
OP Offline
L
Arkansas, USA
i agree. i tried that, though. i printed off a few articles and gave them to the doctor and she just said she couldn't and wouldn't prescribe bc knowing that i would abuse it. so, regardless, we are going to try everything we can to make it work. so, if i just take domperidone and the goat's rue, i can produce milk? if i add blessed thistle and fenugreek, would that help to produce enough?

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
I am taking goat's rue and dom and after 2 weeks of taking them and pumping 3-4x/day, I already get enough milk to cover the bottom of the bottle. I bought the dom from InHouse Pharmacy, http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/digestive/motilium.html. Some women buy it from Click Remedy http://www.clickremedy.com/ which is generic but reliable I hear.

Don't let uninformed physicians deter you from doing what you think is right for your baby. You tried to inform them but unfortunately some are not willing to continue to learn knew things :-(

I am doing it and so can you.

Michele
Arkansas, USA
L
OP Offline
L
Arkansas, USA
thank you! that makes me feel better. we are 2-3 months away from getting our baby, so i will look into inhouse pharmacy. should i start right away with he domperidone, or wait a while? i obviously want to get my supply up, but i am an elem school teacher and cannot always get away from my class regularly. what do you think?

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
I would start right away. You could pump before school, at lunch, after your class is dismissed and a eventually a couple times in the evening. The goal is to eventually work up to 6-8 times a day to stimulate how often a newborn will nurse. You can get goat's rue from Motherlove.com this was the only place I could find it in capsule. I didn't want to mess with liquid.

The baby gets the immunity benefits with just 4 ozs a day!! So even if you need to use a Lact-aid when you get the baby home, you get immunity and the amazing bonding experience.

Michele
Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
Also, it takes 2-3 weeks to get the shipment, depending on how long it takes to clear customs so I would definitely order the dom even if you decide not to take it right away.

I have found that overall people are supportive but it takes some education on your part to do that. You can always just say, "I'm trying to do what is best for the baby" and few people will fault you for that. It also ends the conversation if they want to disagree.

Michele
Arkansas, USA
L
OP Offline
L
Arkansas, USA
thank you! that sounds wonderful. how much longer until you get your baby?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.