#10107 11/12/07 05:14 PM
Colorado
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Colorado
I've been lurking for awhile but want to introduce myself and share my progress. We are having a baby via gestational surrogate (edd 6/6/08) as I have health issues and can't carry myself. I started taking Dom and Goat's Rue(can't take bcp's) and pumping and after 5 days I have drops of milk!!! I will start Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek today. I know I have a loooonnngg way to build a milk supply but I have hope. This is so important to me that I breastfeed since I can't be pregnant.

Great to meet all of you!

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
Central Florida
Central Florida
Keep going Michele, you can do it! and what a reward it is to have that miracle baby at your breast! I know because my Abigail is 14 weeks old, born to me via TS (my sis)!
Wow, you have a such a blessing yet to come!!! smile
kim

Kimberlee Jo
wife to Jim
sahm
proud to be Abigail's mommy
Colorado
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Colorado
Thanks for the encouragement Kim!! We are really getting excited. It is starting to feel real-we are having a baby!

Michele
C
C
Hi! I am in a similar position and timeline. My GS is due 6/13. Congrats! I have started the dom and am on BCP but I was under the impression that I should not pump until a few months before the baby is due. Is there a reason you have started so early?

Colorado
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Colorado
Congratulations on your impending arrival!!

When you are on BCP's and Dom you should not be pumping until you stop taking the BCP's. However, I can not take the pill for health reasons so I need to start pumping as soon as I started Dom and Goat's Rue.

Michele
C
C
Got it! Thanks and good luck!!

Colorado
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Colorado
No problem. It's nice to meet other IM who are inducing lactation. Good luck to you too.

Michele
Ontario, Canada
S U Offline
Ontario, Canada
Wow - it looks as though there are a few of us that are on the same timeline. Our little ones are due May 18/08.

Michele, I'm in a similar situation as you - I can't take BCP's either. I think it's really important to breastfeed for so many different reasons. I think it's great that you alread have drops of milk. I'm going to look into the goat's rue and add it to the dom I've been taking.

I'm really bummed out because I know I need to be pumping more - but it just isn't possible. I have no place with any privacy to do it during the day - even the bathroom at work is a communal one. I'm hoping that doing some pumping before work, right after and just before bed will do the trick. How long do you pump for? I think I read somewhere that pumping 10 minutes then resting 10 and back to pumping for 10 and resting 10 for about an hour is the way to go. Does anyone have any other tips or tricks?
Thanks,
SU

Awaiting our little bundles of joy through our AMAZING surrogate!
EDD May 18/08
Colorado
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Colorado
I have been pumping for 20 minutes at time every 4 hours but I don't have a problem with privacy. Maybe you could go out to your car if you drive to work. I have a hands-free bra that is great because I am typing this while pumping. But it might may it more discreet with a blanket or coat to cover.

The other thing I am doing is eating oatmeal 5-6 times a week for breakfast as it helps promote milk production. I take a prenatal vitamin and a calcium with magnesium. Calcium with magnesium helps lessen the natural decrease in milk production that comes from your menstrual period.

Maybe Lenore, Lalle or Nona all who have much more experience than I have can give you some recommendations on duration of pumping. It's great that you are doing this for your child even with the challenges to pumping!!! Congratulations!!!

Michele
Ontario, Canada
S U Offline
Ontario, Canada
Hey Michele

Every 4 hours - wow that's great! I think the way you're doing it is much better than the way I've tried. I'm going to try it. Do you get up at night too to do it?

How much goat's rue are you taking? Do you know if it has any hormones in it as I can't take any type of hormone at all.

Regarding the oatmeal - I'll try it, but I'm not a big fan of it. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it down! I don't get a period (due to Asherman's) so, I'm assuming the calium and magnesium aren't going to be necessary????

Thanks,
SU

Awaiting our little bundles of joy through our AMAZING surrogate!
EDD May 18/08
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.