#10272 12/18/07 12:09 AM
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
OP Offline
J
Illinois
We adopted a baby girl on Friday. She was two days old at the time. We had no notice for this adoption. I had been on the protocol for 6 months. I stopped the BCP on Friday and started pumping Friday afternoon. I got drops of milk the first time I pumped and continued to get drops most times. I tried out the lactaid on Saturday and found it really difficult to use. Our DD was 2 1/2 weeks early and she falls asleep easily, so while I could get her to latch, it was hard to keep her awake and sucking, even when I managed to get the lactaid in her mouth. I ended up just dumping the milk and bottle feeding. I tried the lactaid again today and she sucked a little longer, but then fell asleep, so I dumped in bottle again.
Should I just concentrate on pumping right now and building a supply and worry more about latching her when she is more awake? I am already getting about a teaspoon at each pumping from each breast after only 3 days. I am pouring that in with the formula. We will be in South Carolina until the end of the week waiting for ICPC. My thought is that I can consult a lactation consultant when we get home if I am still having problems. Does that sound like a good plan?
I am trying to not obsess about the breastfeeding and just concentrate on enjoying DD.

Jennifer

E
E
I would avoid using the bottle and find other ways to get the formula in her while still pumping and trying to nurse with the lactaid. One suggestion is to cup feed. If you could get your hands on a foley cup feeder. It helps to avoid nipple confusion. Hope this helps.

Idaho
Idaho
you can also finger feed with the lact-aid. I would continue to latch her and slip the lact-aid in. If you must bottle feed use the Avent #1 nipples. Less confusion there. BUT I would latch her first and let her nurse as much as possible before giving the bottle. Use tape to keep the lact-aid tube in place it helps a lot.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
R
R
You should keep putting her to the breast first every feeding, don't have her wrapped up, try taking her shirt off, if she is wearing socks take those off as well, babies don't like feet toched that much, also if she starts to fall asleep rub her head in a circular motion that tends to wake them up

Illinois
J
OP Offline
J
Illinois
We are home now and she is more awake. I tried putting her to breast first all day today. She did okay, but she is having a hard time with one of my breasts. We both were getting frustrated. I am pumping after we feed and giving her a bottle after as well. I will keep trying and hoping she will start to get it better as she gets a little bigger.

Idaho
Idaho
A visit to an IBCLC would be a great idea. They can help with latch issues and any other problems you maybe facing. Hang in there.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Jennifer,

How are things going now? Did you see a lactation consultant?

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Illinois
J
OP Offline
J
Illinois
Things are going great. That first week we were home I would breastfeed every time and supplement after with a bottle and pump after as well. We went to the doctor on December 27 and she was 5oz over her birth weight so I asked about trying without supplementation. The next week I was only supplementing with what I had pumped during the day once or twice a day. I went back to the doctor for a weight check after a week and she had gained 5 oz. So we stopped supplementing totally. She seems to be gaining and she has plenty of wets and poops. Her latch is much better and the nipple pain is gone. I can't believe that the protocol worked so quickly.
Now I am worrying about being able to keep up with her as she grows. Do most moms increase to the level their babies need when they start drinking 4 or more ounces at a time? I know when I nursed my bio son I could pump 4oz (or more) after a feed in the mornings and now I can maybe pump 1oz. And she is only drinking 2ish ounces. I am trying not to worry and just be happy its working for me.

Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
Everything sounds great. Just like when you nursed your bio children it is supply and demand. Some moms top out and have to supplement while others don't I think just enjoying your nursing and not worrying about it sounds like a good plan. smile

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.