photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
Has anyone experienced a hormone imbalance after using domperidone? I succsessfully breastfed my adoptive son for 8 months. After following the protocol I was never able to get back on track. My hormone levels are very low. I have been taking thyroid medicine, estrogen and progesterone. After 9 months I am still having irrregular cycles and have very low hormone levels.
Any input?

H
H
I am on domperidone now for about 5 motnhs, and ever since I have had irregular periods, and now I haven't even seen my period for 2 whole months !!

I haven't checked my hormone levels or checked with my doctor about the irregular cycles either.

Hope someone helps you.

Hapi
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
when you are on the protocol the bcp messes with your cycle stopping it entirely. Some women start again once droppign the pill and others continue to have no period for their entire breastfeeding relationship. To my knowledge it isn't the dom that causes it but the bcp and breastfeeding.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
H
H
But Laurie, I am not on BCP's, I am only on Domp. and my cycles are messed up too !

Hapi
Idaho
Idaho
hmmm that is strange. Hopefully Lenore will chime in with info on that.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
Hapi,

I have not had a period since a month after starting Dom. I am only on Dom and herb too. I was told it was because prolactin is high and intefers with normal estrogen/progesterone cycles. It's the reason most women don't get there periods while breastfeeding.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
H
H
Oh, thanks a lot Michele. Now that makes sense.

To be honest, I was not that worried about my cycles. All my focus is on producing more than the 2 oz. I am producing now per day, so I'd do anything, even lose a few cycles :-)

How's your baby doing? I hope you two are haveing a great time. Enjoy being a mom :-)

Hapi
Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
Thanks for asking Hapi. We are doing great! She is nursing like a champ and growing every day.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.