Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Aprile Offline OP
OP Offline
A
At 6 weeks old, after much reluctance, we decided to 'try' formula with my son. We were having major issues with spitting up and fussiness and didn't know what else to do, all this even after acid reflux medication was prescribed.

Now, at almost 7 months old, I have decided I would really like to start breastfeeding again or at the very least, pumping for him. I have been pumping for almost 3 weeks 4-5 times a day (TRYING to do it every 2 hours) and taking Fenugreek 4 capsules 3 times a day. I am not producing anything in one breast and the other will sometimes have a tiny amount, maybe a drop, of thick, sticky white stuff :o)

I was on ortho tri-cyclen prior to beginning this journey but stopped because I was under the impression that it would reduce the chance of lactating. Now, after ready articles on this site, it seems to be the opposite.

I'm wondering if you would advice me to start taking my BC again and start from scratch with a protocol or would I be better off continuing pumping and starting Dom?

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Aprile we only take the BC pill to mimic a pregnancy along with the dom then it is stopped and pumping or nursing begins to stimulate milk. Taking it while nursing will reduce production. I think adding Dom would be beneficial to you. Let's see what Lenore has to say.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
Aprile Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Since it's been so long since my pregnancy and breastfeeding, would it be a good idea to start over by starting to take the pill again? Considering I'm neither nursing nor lactating at all... Or just continue with what I'm doing and add dom?

I've been going back and forth with the decision to start breastfeeding again for 4 months and now that I've decided to do it, I'm kind of in a hurry to start...well, excited. The sooner the better :o)

Last edited by Aprile; 05/17/08 06:02 PM.
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Aprile,

Thank you for your post and for investigating relactation. Of course you can if you wish, it's just a matter of teasing out what steps to take.

You may not need anything, or you may need something but first we really need to see what's going on. If you don't mind I need a bit more history about the fussy bits. Can you tell me how often your baby was feeding during the first 6 weeks? Sometimes babies spit up because they are overfed and this can be mistaken for acid reflux. Did you have abundant milk?

You may or may not need hormonal help to relactate. First if you are willing, we would need a pumping trial with a good dual electric breastpump. If you can pump every 2-3 hours by day for the next few days and report back, we can see from there how to proceed. Domperidone can help in this situation as well. Are you located in the US or Canada? Domperidone is widely available in Canada. In the US there are several compounding pharmacies that will provide it with a prescription.

Waiting for your reply and I'll just mention I'm off to Ft. Myers for follow-up eye surgery tomorrow so may not be able to respond before tomorrow evening ok?

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
A
Aprile Offline OP
OP Offline
A
During his fussy periods, he was nursing every 1.5-2 hours and I had an abundant supply that came in about 5 days after he was born. I had to have a c-section because my gestational hypertension became preeclampsia but I was 38 weeks along so he was a healthy 8lbs 6oz. I believe I also had a fast letdown, as he would almost choke after a few minutes of nursing.

The Zantac didn't really help anything when we first put him on it. It helped his spitting up a little but because it wasn't working well, we were asked to 'try' formula. We tried Enfamil A.R. for about 1.5 weeks with things going well at first few days and then going right back to square one...fussiness, gas, spitting up... We then tried soy and everything got better and stayed that way, besides the colic. He's been on soy formula since. But that has caused constant constipation so now he's also on Enulose syrup for a laxative. Reason #409 why I would really like to get back to the breast! One less med he has to take!

I have been pumping now for 3+ weeks, Fenugreek for 2 weeks. I've been trying to pump every 2 hours but my son is still eating every 2 hours...he's not that interested in food and always wants his bottle...so I sometimes forget until it's too late. I'm using a Medela Advance double breast pump.

Thanks again so very much! And best wishes during your surgery!

Last edited by Aprile; 05/18/08 12:45 PM.
A
Aprile Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Since posting, I've had some time to look into the Dom a little more and think about it...and I don't think we, as a family, can commit to the extra monthly expense at this time. If I was able to come up with the money for it now, I may not be able to do the same next month.

Do you have any other suggestions that don't include adding dom?

Idaho
Idaho
Did you look at www.clickremedy.com it is much more reasonable there. 100 tablets (10mg) for 9.50 The herbs are spendy too and the dom will give you better results.

As for what to do, I would get a supplemental nurser and try getting him to the breast with that. There is a transitioning to breast slowly protocol that will help I can email it to you. Getting him to nurse will stimulate your supply. Are you getting any milk in your pumping sessions now?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
A
Aprile Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I will definately check out that site! That gives me hope :o)

No, I'm not getting anything yet. Some 'spotting' I guess you could call it, sometimes from the right breast but nothing from the left.

I have been trying to introduce the breast to him again...just kind of putting it out there to see what he does. He did go for it but since I don't have anything...he just looked at me confused. It was cute though! It's a start. I'm just getting nervous now since he's gotten his first tooth and another is in the process of breaking through!

Idaho
Idaho
So if he will latch on you could nurse him with the lact-aid or another supplementer and he would be getting milk from it and stimulating you. Here is a website. www.lact-aid.com

Idaho
Idaho
Oh and you don't need to worry about teeth lots of babies nurse well into toddlerhood and have full mouths of teeth with no issues.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.