Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11076 07/11/08 11:55 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Does anyone know if or how long frozen breast milk (not thawed yet) can stay in a cooler for?

I work outside the home, and my baby comes with me. I just want to make sure the milk can survive getting driven about. All the recomendations I have seen have been for moms getting freshly pumped milk home...I just need to do it the other way around! I do have access to a feezer/fridge during the day...but I am just so afraid I will move on to the next location, and forget my milk!!!

Any tips/suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

Mississippi, USA
Mississippi, USA
Breastmilk can stay frozen for and still viable for up to three months in the freezer (hard frozen).

Fresh for two days in the frig.

Fresh on the counter for six hours.

So, you should be fine if you make your little cooler like a frig and cart it around all day. smile

Best,

~momgie
mom to four (18, 16, 4, 2)
surrogate mammaries to preemie
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
If you have a deep freeze it is good for up to a year. After that time you can pasteurize it and it is like day 1 so refreeze it and it is good for another year.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Mississippi, USA
Mississippi, USA
Even better news!
Thanks, Lalle.

~momgie
mom to four (18, 16, 4, 2)
surrogate mammaries to preemie
H
H
I thought we could keep BM in the freezer for up tp six months not just 3 months !!! This means I will have lots of frozen milk that I will have to throw away, since baby won't be here for at least 2 more months and I already starting building up a stock one month ago !

Hapi
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
Hapi - I've heard 6 months to a year. I would not throw it out. It should be fine.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
If it is a deep freeze it is a year. If you go over your time just follow the instructions for pasteurizing and it resets the clock for you. Don't throw your milk out.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
H
H
Thank you guys. That's a releif. I'm having a hard time with my very low supply as it is and the thought of throwing all I froze already was a real scare.

I think the pasterizing tip is the best thing I have heard too. Thanks again. (hugs)

Hapi
actually breastmilk is good fresh in the fridge for 8 days. And Lalle is right about it being frozen for a year. I have used breastmilk that was 2 years old. Kept below "0" at all times. It was fine when thawed and used. So breastmilk is alot more stable than a lot of people know

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
H
H
So silly question. Can anyone tell me the exact steps of pasteaurization?

I don't know how I can suddenly freeze boiling milk !! Do I just dip it in ice or what?

Thanks guys.

Hapi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.