Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Hapi if you give me your email I will send you the instructions Lenore gave me. You don't freeze the boiling milk you have to let it come back to room temp again. You don't actually boil the milk.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
NEVER boil your milk. LOL..bring the milk up to 63 degrees celcius (sp?) Hold it there for 30 minutes. I always used a stainless steel pot. I had a sink of ice water ready. At the end of the pasteurizing I put the pot in the ice bath to cool it down fast. I then poured into bottles and froze. Or you can have your milk in glass bottles already. Put water around them in the pot and bring temperature up the same way. My problem with the glass bottles was. I would EXPLODE them bringing the temp down to fast. It needs to be cooled quickly. I just did it to to fast. The stainless steel pot works so much better for me.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
H
H
Hmm...OK...but I have one issue, how would I ever make sure the temp. is held fixed at 63 degrees?? I think I should buy a thermometer. But even then, the temp. would keep rising as long as the pot is on the stove, right?

thanks for the help though.

Hapi
Yes get a thermometer. You have to hold the milk at 146f. What I did was put the milk in a stainless steel pot. Bring the temp up to about 8-10 degrees below 146f. Stir with a stainless steel whisk. Turn the burner OFF. It will continue to heat up. It heats to just about 146. Keep your lid on the pot. Every ten minutes stick your thermometer in the pot. If it drops below 146. Turn it on simmer to bring the temp back up.If it heats up to 150 its okay....You just do NOT want to boil your milk. When the 30 minutes are up. Sit your pot in an ice bath in the sink. Stir the milk with your wisk to cool it down fast. Pour into clean breast milk bottles or bags and freeze

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
H
H
OK, thanks a lot Nona. That's very helpful. And sounds easier than in my mind :-)

Hapi
H
H
Laurie, I sent you a private message with my e-mail if you need to send me details about pasteurization. In case it's different from what Nona mentioned.

Thanks.

Hapi
Idaho
Idaho
Got it I will send you what I have. It is what Nona said just a little more explanation

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
H
H
Thank you very much Laurie. I got your e-mail and the document is very detailed and easy to follow.

I think I'll pasteurize all my milk supply when the first bag hits the 3 months mark in the freezer. I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks again.

Hapi
Idaho
Idaho
I would wait until 6 months at the earliest no reason to pasteurize before you need to. Plus you will have baby by then and will most likely be using up the oldesst of the milk at that time.

H
H
The reason why I said 3 months is because I have read conflicting info about the maximum time frozen milk could stay in a freezer. I sometimes read 6 months and other times I found info that say only 3 months. That's why I don't want to be taking any chances, my supply is as low as ever and I don't want to lose the precious milk bags I have already frozen.

Hapi
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.