photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Long Beach, California
OP Offline
Long Beach, California
Hello all, I am very new here and I am a very new mother who desperately wants to breastfeed. I just recently adopted a beautiful baby girl named Jayda Lynnae she was born August 13th 08' She has been in the NICU since birth because she swallowed her first bowel movement in the womb and she became very ill and on top of that she was jaundiced.
While in the NICU she was having feeding problems and they had to nasal tube feed her for the majority of the time. When she came off the tube feedings she immediately was given a bottle of formula which she spit up everywhere! So finally I convinced them to give her my breastmilk instead. They argued that she may not like it.. who are they to decide for her! I couldn't believe it and I had a word with the head nurse.. so they gave her my milk, and she liked it..
We came home today and I tried to nurse her which did not go as well as I hoped. She DID latch on, but because my nipples are small she did not seem to be satisfied. She did keep going back for more and sucking for about a minute but then she kept stopping and would get fussy, then go back to sucking. When my nipples are not aroused they go flat and pretty much don't exist at all but when I stimulate them they tend to protrude a little more and she'll latch on with ease. The problem is keeping her at the breast long enough to feed.
Right now I'm using an Adiri breast bottle to help with nipple confusion hopefully that will get her used to the breast like feel. She will not latch on with a nipple shield either.. so needless to say I need help! How do you draw the nipple out to be a little bigger so she can latch on? Will she eventually disregard the small nipple issue and eat anyway? Any suggestions will help. I'm not giving up!

Aubri Rose and Jayda Lynnae born August 13th 2008 Exclusive Breast Milk Baby
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Aubri,
I was going to suggest a nipple shield because that really helped my son to learn to latch (he was born tongue tied and we had it clipped because he couldn't breastfeed - then he had to learn how to latch after the clip). They come in various sizes, maybe you need a smaller one?
I would try taking baths together and lots of skin to skin contact. My nipples were slightly flat, but the more I nursed the more they protruded.
Have you contacted a Lactation Consultant. They might have some suggestions for you. Good luck and just keep trying.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
I was going to suggest a lactation consultant too. When she latches she should be taking in more than just the nipple. Make sure and get your latch checked, Sometimes pumping a bit before hand will help the nipples stand out too.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Long Beach, California
OP Offline
Long Beach, California
Thank you so much. I did try to manual pump right before a feeding and it seems to work out great! Once she gets the taste of milk on her lips she latches right away. Also, she seems to need a little bit of SNS supplimenting, do I start nursing with the SNS taped on already or try to slip it in while she's already latched on? I would like to eventually be exclusively breastfeeding, no bottles. Since she is young and will pretty much turn to anything that is skin and warm to feed I think I have a good chance that we can be exclusive with the BF. Thank you ladies I will contact a lactation consultant today!

Long Beach, California
OP Offline
Long Beach, California
Ok, so the lactation consultant told me that Breast Shells work well if worn 30 minutes before nursing, also phillips avent has an item out called the niplette which helps draw the nipple out prior to feedings. I'm hoping to find one for a fair price so hopefully it will work. I checked it out on the web and it does seem to be exactly what I need, and in the meantime I'll try the shells. Thanks again everyone I'll keep you posted on my progress

Long Beach, California
OP Offline
Long Beach, California
We have success!!! I am so thrilled, I pumped right before I attempted to nurse and she latched on and stayed latched until she fell asleep. I didn't even have to use the supplementer, I still can't figure out how to use that thing with ease. I tried to tape it on before she latched and it just moves and she gets mad because I'm not quick enough when she opens to latch. I don't want to tape it too close because I don't want her sucking on the tape so I can't figure out how to do it before we nurse. I did manage to slip it in while she was nursing but she gets upset when I disturb her and releases.. ughh so frustrating, I want her to know she will be fed when I'm nursing her rather than just comfort nursing like I'm a pacifier.. well I'll keep everyone updated.. incase someone else out there is having the same issues. However I am thrilled because we nursed all day with no real problems, it's such a blessing.

Idaho
Idaho
Aubri Rose, Nice work on getting her latched. smile Have you watched the videos on here nursing with the lact-aid? There is one that shows Dr. Newman sliding the tubing in after they are latched. I never tried that although it looks pretty easy ans less disruptive than continually trying to get them on with the tube slipping. I taped my tubing in the beginning you can even use a small bandage and I never worried about her having her mouth on the tape.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Long Beach, California
OP Offline
Long Beach, California
Thanks for the advice Lalle, I tried using the bandage and it works great. Our lactation consultant had me place the lact-aid tube on and then place smaller nipple shield over and Jayda latched right away with no fussiness. She said having the lact-aid will help because she gets an immediate reward once she begins to suck rather than having to suckle for a little longer before getting any milk. So far we have had no problems. I'm hoping we can get rid of the nipple shield within a few weeks when she becomes a pro at breastfeeding. She was 6lbs 2oz at birth and she is weighing just under 9lbs now at 1 month old so we must be doing something right! Her bowels are definitely working correctly, daddy knows all too well about those diapers!

Long Beach, California
OP Offline
Long Beach, California
Just wanted to let everyone know we are doing soooooooo great with breastfeeding!! I'm finally nursing with no shield and I'm starting to feel like a pro! I am so happy and I thank you all for your advice and support. Jayda is almost 2 months old now and thriving, the doc is very impressed with how well we are doing since we don't supplement with formula. It's the best feeling in the world and I hope you ladies out there who are ready to give up, re-think it because it is truly a blessing. I am unable to have children and when I learned I would be able to nurse an adoptive child it lifted my spirits and gave me the chance to be the mom I always wanted to be. We are so blessed and thankful for this site!! Good luck to the rest of ya out there keep trying its worth it!!

Idaho
Idaho
Congratulations Aubri and thank you for sharing with us. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.