photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#11684 10/01/08 03:29 AM
OP Offline
I have to do the accel. protocol (not started yet) and have been using the SNS for 1 1/2 weeks now. I've read from past posts, Lenore, that you say to NOT pump until after the 30 days is over. Isn't using the SNS the same, (although better), than pumping and wouldn't it be even better to include a few pumps inbetween nursing? Why do you say to wait on pumping until after the 30 days? I actually took my pump back and have since rented it again based on what my LC said. She recommended pumping 3-4 times a day, but I've only managed 1-2. Any thoughts, anybody?
I can't wait for the day when all this is well known by all in the medical community and help can be found quickly with everyone on the same page. So glad this site exist!
Thanks Lenore for all the time and passion you've invested in this!

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
My understanding is that it is specifically pumping that is discouraged while on the BCP's. You can continue bfing with a supplementer. Then when you stop the BCP's you add in pumping.

You have to decide if you want to do the protocol and have limited to no milk for 30 days, or just take the domperidone and start pumping to try to increase supply right away. It is suggested that you could have a better supply long term if you do the protocol but there is the trade off of less milk for the first 30 day. Good luck.

Jennifer

This is ment for ladies who do not have their babies yet. Yes of course you can nurse while on the BCPs. But Jennifer is right. DO NOT PUMP. Give your body the time it needs to work on your breasts. Just continue to use your suplimenter while your on the pills. You may not even need to pump. Your baby may be all you need to build your supply. Just remember it takes a week or so for the estrogen to leave your body when you are done with the bcps.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Idaho
Idaho
Also 4ofGodsGifts keep in mind that since it is not widely known in the medical community sometimes the advice you get from Drs. and LCs may conflict with what is said here. These women, myself included have practical experience with this protocol and in my opinion give the best advice available. This is a tried and true system with over a 1000 women inducing lactation this way. I would trust the advice given here totally.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
D
D
Hi there,
We got our baby girl 1 month ago and she was 3 weeks early. I was on the BCPs but the Dom only arrived the day she was born so I pumped between BF her the first 2 weeks. Now I pump if I miss a feeding (her dad likes to feed her once or twice a day).

I still do not have much milk (less than 1 oz each side/ pump) and am still of course using the SNS. She does latch wonderfully though and feeds every 2 1/2 hours or so.

At this point should I increase pumping to try to get more milk? I have just recently started the Fenu and BT herbs so hope that will help alot.

Did you all ever get to the point of not having to use the SNS? I just can't imagine how amazing that would be!!

I'm so glad to find you all. It is a challenging road to go down this adoptive breastfeeding!
Thanks

Last edited by dancingmama; 10/02/08 05:03 PM.
Idaho
Idaho
Dancingmama did you continue the bcp after your dom arrived? How much supplement is she taking with the SNS?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
D
D
No, I thought the protocol was to stop the BCP once the baby arrived. Should I start it again and is it safe for baby?

As far as the supplement, she is taking 2-3 ozs each time. She nurses without the supplement often too but I can't get an idea of how much milk she is actually getting. But she is gaining weight and is healthy.

Idaho
Idaho
The protocol is to take the bcp and dom together for a minimum of 30 days. Since you didn't do that you are basically trying to induce with dom and baby plus pumping. I did that with slight success but then went on the protocol and had way more milk after. So yes, you can go back on the bcp for 30 days straight along with the dom continue to nurse baby with the supplementer (it is safe for baby) and do not pump. When you stop the bcp after the 30 days you continue dom & you add in herbs. You can pump after feeds when you can fit it in but it isn't something that you "have" to do since baby is already nursing. You may notice a slight drop in production while on the pill but it will pick back up again quickly after the 30 days.

You can nurse her for comfort without the supplementer too.

Last edited by Lalle; 10/02/08 11:15 PM.

D
D
OK! I see now that in the crazy rush of having getting the baby with no warning that I didn't read on down to the accelerated protocol. I will resume the BCP and take the herbs in 30 days. Will let you know how it goes. At least we are already good with breastfeeding using the SNS!

Thanks so much. I was sure I wasn't doing something right after reading all the good reports of streams of breastmilk coming in. I am sure we'll get there too.

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
My adoptive baby is due in Jan. I had drops of milk producing on their own just from the news, which prompted me to look into adoptive bf. Thats when i found this site.
I haven't taken the BC, but started the domperidone. My ? was since i already had milk wouldn't I be at the same point if i took the bc. Lenore instructed me to try pumping and within two weeks i'd know if i had any significant results. Its been 1 week 4 days and i get almost an ounce every time I pump, which is every 2 hrs. I am thrilled, but January is a long time away. Do I keep doing the same thing, and do i need to add the herbs(if so, when).
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by morningstar; 10/06/08 03:36 PM.
Idaho
Idaho
Morningstar you would add the herbs now if you choose to just continue with what you are doing and keep pumping around the clock until baby arrives.
If you change courses to do the full protocol you would continue the Dom stop pumping and take the bcp (active pills only) for whatever time you determine. You could do 60 days on the bcp and dom then stop the bcp add in herbs and start pumping again to increase your supply before baby arrives.

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
Lalle,
If this were you which route would you choose.
I have BF 5 biological children. Not sure which route is best.

Idaho
Idaho
I actually tried with just herbs and the lact-aid when my daughter was born. I had breastfed both my bio boys at that point and the second one for over 2 years. It had been about 10 years since I had any milk. So with just that I think I came close to producing 1/3 of her needs. As time went on I added Dom and did some pumping and I got close to 1/2 her needs. Eventually I did the accelerated protocol and produced all her milk. She was taking solids at that time but we completely quit using the lact-aid and/or any bottles and she went on to nurse until she was 2 and I was 5 months into my last pregnancy then.

So given my experience I would personally do the protocol if I had a chance to adopt again.

How long has it been since your last child stopped nursing?

my suggestions would be to continue to pump. If your getting an ounce only after 1 week of pumping, I would be curious to see how much you would have after 3 weeks. If you do not continue to increase I would then go on the protocol for 2 months. So I would pump for october.. If my milk did not increase I would do the protocol for nov and december. Then start pumping again the beginning of january

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Idaho
Idaho
That is true you could do what Nona suggests you certainly have enough time before baby gets here.

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
Thanks so much,I will do that . OH and Lalle, I got a litle chuckle from your question. I last nursed 11 years ago. I am 40 now. My baby is now 13. He nursed for about 2 years.
Guess I better go pump and see what this old new mama to be has got.
Thnaks so much ladies... i'll let you know my progress this month.

Morningstar LOL your not an old mama I am 45 and doing another surrogacy.IF I am right Lenore was 47 with her second surrogacy. I hope I am right on that one.

Idaho
Idaho
I was 37 when we adopted Beka and 39 when we had Rab. I want another one and I am now 45. You are definitely not old, Morningstar smile

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
Thanks for the encouragement ladies....I suddenly feel 28 again lol.
Not as much milk today... about 2 oz. total. I am going to add the herbs tomorrow and if i dont see an increase in a week or so I think i'll just go ahead and start the bc pills and take a break from pumping till mid December.
I had a tubal reversal and have had 4 m/c since then. I know I can get preg. and i hate to start bc if there is a chance I can carry another sweet little one.
Regardless I want to breastfeed this wonderful new addition in Jan.
Thanks everyone

Idaho
Idaho
Morningstar I got pregnant after doing the protocol. My DH had a vas reversal and 2 years later I got pregnant. Within 5 months of completing the protocol. I think it actually might have helped me get my self back on track.

disclaimer: I am in no way saying that this will happen for everyone. I just know it happened for me. smile

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
Thanks so much. Congratulations as well. I know everything happens for a reason and whatever comes my way I am grateful for. It seems like January will never get here.

Last edited by morningstar; 10/08/08 04:11 PM.
FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
Heres an update. Suddenly it feels like my milk has "come in". I woke up dying to pump this morning.
I am producing 5 oz a day (i don't pump in the night)
This is strictly dom and pumping. I finally bought the fenugreek today. They didn't have blessed thistle. I'll pick it up in a neighboring town tomorrow.
Is this a fair amount. Should it increase substantially with the herbs?
Is 5 oz good after 3 weeks?
Thanks for your expertise ladies!

Last edited by morningstar; 10/18/08 04:58 AM.
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I think the fenugreek is more important than the blessed thistle. I would start taking it 3 pills 3 times a day right away. I would also add in 1 night pumping session. That is the most important thing you can do to increase your supply. 5 oz a day is great. I think it will increase if you add in the night pumping and add in the herbs.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
Ditto what Jen said.
smile 5 oz right now is great!

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
Thanks so much. That makes me feel better. Maybe I can actually pull this off without the bc. I am hopeful. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like your doing fantastic! But you do want to use BOTH fenugreek and blessed thistle. They work TOGETHER

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
Just a post to catch up. I am still 5-6 oz a day. Will I gradually increase? I don't want to have less before the baby gets here. I found out last week the due date is actually Feb. 21.(its a boy!)
Thats alot of pumping till then, but thats okay. I just want to be able to have as much as possible before he arrives. Anything else I can do to increase my supply? I compress and pump, shake, pump etc.
How much does a newborn eat a day?
Thanks ladies!

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
A brand new baby will drink very little. Maybe 8 oz a day (remember from a new mom they will get only colustrum which is not much). They will increse to around 24 oz on average between 1-6 months of age according to kellymom.com
Just keep pumping, you have time to keep increasing. Did you start pumping once at night?
Jennifer

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA

Jennifer
LoL..
I have gotten into a bad habit of staying up late and pumping around midnight.
I haven't managed to drag my lazy bosoms out of the bed yet.
Also, I haven't introduced the blessed thistle yet. I went to 3 different stores with no luck so i ordered it online a couple of days ago.
I also just increased the dom from 2 pills 4x a day, to 3 pills 3x a day. Is this okay? It just seemed easier.
One more question. I talk to the birth mother usually every week or two on the phone. I haven't told her about my milk supply because..well i really don't know why. I guess because i dont want to freak her out. Anyway, I'd love to feed the baby at the hospital. I know the papers can't be signed intil he is 24 hrs old. Do you know how hospitals feel about adoptive breastfeeding mothers?
Marla

Idaho
Idaho
Marla increasing your dom like that is fine.
As for nursing at the hospital. I didn't even though my daughters birthmom probably would have been fine with it. I just waited until we were at our hotel together. It was less than 48 hours after birth. I guess it depends on the hospital staff. I had a number of nurses who were so negative about the fact that birthmom was placing baby for adoption I can only imagine what they would have thought if I wanted to nurse. If you don't feel confident then I would just wait until the papers are signed. By then you will have a feel for the hospital and can decide then.

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
I am back, its been awhile!
I have been religously pumping 3x a day. I average 8 oz. a day.
The due date is still Feb 21st. I started pumping every two hours today and plan on a strict schedule of night pumping from here on out.
I take the dom 3 pills 3x a day and the fenugreek. What else can I do to improve my supply before he gets here. Can I increase the dom more?
I know i should be taking the blessed thistle but can't find anyone that carries it..i ordered it online and they sent me a refund and i haven't bothered to order it from another supplier.
Shame on me!
Thanks for advice ladies!
Marla

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I wouldn't think about increasing until you've been pumping 8+ times a day for a while. I actually wouldn't increase until you have the baby and only if you need it at that point. If you do need to increase, I would do 3 tablets 4 times a day. If you can get the blessed thistle - great, but I found that it didn't have as much of an effect on my supply as the fenugreek.
8oz a day with 3 pumping sessions is great. As you increase the number of sessions, you will probably see less milk at each session, but should see an increase over the course of the day. Good luck.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
Ditto what Jennifer said. Upping your pumping will increase your supply over time be patient. You should see changes with in a week.

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
Thanks again!
I have noticed significantly less at each pumping,but today i stayed on schedule and never got less than 1oz, usually a little more.
I know supplementing is likely,and i have 3 months worth of milk so thats okay, but it would be awesome if i didn't have to.
Also, we have to travel (by car) 11 hours (one way) to get the baby when he his born. Since taking my frozen milk isn't really a great option, do you suggest having a bottle on hand (just in case)for the trip or going ahead and purchasing a lactaid device?
I know these are common sense questions, just wondering what worked best for others in this situation.
Marla

Idaho
Idaho
Marla you could take your milk frozen in a cooler with you. If you can get dry ice it will stay frozen for a couple days. I do suggest having a lact-aid that way you can nurse baby right away. and if you are getting an ounce per pumping session right now you may have enough milk to nurse without it but it is good to have on hand.

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
My baby only took an oz to 1.5oz at any one session in the first few days. Even after a week she was only taking no more than 2 oz at a time. Just keep up the pumping. The lactaid could be helpful, but I would have a bottle too just in case. I had a really hard time with the lactaid and we just bottle fed for the first week while I was building a supply (I had no notice to pump, so started pumping the day we were placed with her). I did have a pump car adaptor and pumped in the car every 2 hours (what else are you going to do?). That really helped to jumpstart my supply.
Jennifer

L
L
Before reading your article I don't have any idea about this . Thank's for giving me knowledge about a new thing.

Lisa11
Drug Intervention North Dakota

Canada
L
L
Canada
Lisa,

What article are you referring to? And what exactly is Drug Intervention North Dakota? Similar drug intervention links are appearing on posts and do not appear to be relevant to our discussions. We want to give all women a voice but advertising on our site is generally not accepted. It's an information site, not a commercial site. Although mothers provide links to each other to faciliate their individual protocols, as well as to their own personal websites, they do not tend to carry a link that just differs by a city name and which leads to the same site each time. If you would be so kind as to explain your reasoning for including these links, I would be most appreciative. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'll have to delete these links. You are of course welcome to continue posting but if your advertising links become worrisome to our moms, I may have to delete your posts as well. You are welcome to continue posting for the time being while we sort this out.

Best, Lenore

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
HI. I'm back.......
Just an update...I am up to 10.5 ounces a day. the baby is due in 24 days!
I think I'll continue to slowly increase until then, but here's my ??
Did most of you see a noticable increase once you got the baby to to the breast.
I am really hoping that will happen.
Oh, and I do have a car adaptor (so I can pump on the trip) and the lactaid.
OH, and another ??. Do most relactating women quit having their periods. I know i didn't have one when I breast fed my other children. I assume being on a protocol can produce the same effects.
I have taken multiple pregnancy tests so I am sure I am not pregnant.
Thanks again for your help.
Marla

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.