photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#11684 10/01/08 03:29 AM
OP Offline
I have to do the accel. protocol (not started yet) and have been using the SNS for 1 1/2 weeks now. I've read from past posts, Lenore, that you say to NOT pump until after the 30 days is over. Isn't using the SNS the same, (although better), than pumping and wouldn't it be even better to include a few pumps inbetween nursing? Why do you say to wait on pumping until after the 30 days? I actually took my pump back and have since rented it again based on what my LC said. She recommended pumping 3-4 times a day, but I've only managed 1-2. Any thoughts, anybody?
I can't wait for the day when all this is well known by all in the medical community and help can be found quickly with everyone on the same page. So glad this site exist!
Thanks Lenore for all the time and passion you've invested in this!

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
My understanding is that it is specifically pumping that is discouraged while on the BCP's. You can continue bfing with a supplementer. Then when you stop the BCP's you add in pumping.

You have to decide if you want to do the protocol and have limited to no milk for 30 days, or just take the domperidone and start pumping to try to increase supply right away. It is suggested that you could have a better supply long term if you do the protocol but there is the trade off of less milk for the first 30 day. Good luck.

Jennifer

This is ment for ladies who do not have their babies yet. Yes of course you can nurse while on the BCPs. But Jennifer is right. DO NOT PUMP. Give your body the time it needs to work on your breasts. Just continue to use your suplimenter while your on the pills. You may not even need to pump. Your baby may be all you need to build your supply. Just remember it takes a week or so for the estrogen to leave your body when you are done with the bcps.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Idaho
Idaho
Also 4ofGodsGifts keep in mind that since it is not widely known in the medical community sometimes the advice you get from Drs. and LCs may conflict with what is said here. These women, myself included have practical experience with this protocol and in my opinion give the best advice available. This is a tried and true system with over a 1000 women inducing lactation this way. I would trust the advice given here totally.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
D
D
Hi there,
We got our baby girl 1 month ago and she was 3 weeks early. I was on the BCPs but the Dom only arrived the day she was born so I pumped between BF her the first 2 weeks. Now I pump if I miss a feeding (her dad likes to feed her once or twice a day).

I still do not have much milk (less than 1 oz each side/ pump) and am still of course using the SNS. She does latch wonderfully though and feeds every 2 1/2 hours or so.

At this point should I increase pumping to try to get more milk? I have just recently started the Fenu and BT herbs so hope that will help alot.

Did you all ever get to the point of not having to use the SNS? I just can't imagine how amazing that would be!!

I'm so glad to find you all. It is a challenging road to go down this adoptive breastfeeding!
Thanks

Last edited by dancingmama; 10/02/08 05:03 PM.
Idaho
Idaho
Dancingmama did you continue the bcp after your dom arrived? How much supplement is she taking with the SNS?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
D
D
No, I thought the protocol was to stop the BCP once the baby arrived. Should I start it again and is it safe for baby?

As far as the supplement, she is taking 2-3 ozs each time. She nurses without the supplement often too but I can't get an idea of how much milk she is actually getting. But she is gaining weight and is healthy.

Idaho
Idaho
The protocol is to take the bcp and dom together for a minimum of 30 days. Since you didn't do that you are basically trying to induce with dom and baby plus pumping. I did that with slight success but then went on the protocol and had way more milk after. So yes, you can go back on the bcp for 30 days straight along with the dom continue to nurse baby with the supplementer (it is safe for baby) and do not pump. When you stop the bcp after the 30 days you continue dom & you add in herbs. You can pump after feeds when you can fit it in but it isn't something that you "have" to do since baby is already nursing. You may notice a slight drop in production while on the pill but it will pick back up again quickly after the 30 days.

You can nurse her for comfort without the supplementer too.

Last edited by Lalle; 10/02/08 11:15 PM.

D
D
OK! I see now that in the crazy rush of having getting the baby with no warning that I didn't read on down to the accelerated protocol. I will resume the BCP and take the herbs in 30 days. Will let you know how it goes. At least we are already good with breastfeeding using the SNS!

Thanks so much. I was sure I wasn't doing something right after reading all the good reports of streams of breastmilk coming in. I am sure we'll get there too.

FL, USA
M
M
FL, USA
My adoptive baby is due in Jan. I had drops of milk producing on their own just from the news, which prompted me to look into adoptive bf. Thats when i found this site.
I haven't taken the BC, but started the domperidone. My ? was since i already had milk wouldn't I be at the same point if i took the bc. Lenore instructed me to try pumping and within two weeks i'd know if i had any significant results. Its been 1 week 4 days and i get almost an ounce every time I pump, which is every 2 hrs. I am thrilled, but January is a long time away. Do I keep doing the same thing, and do i need to add the herbs(if so, when).
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by morningstar; 10/06/08 03:36 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.