L
Linda Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hi,

My daughter is almost 4 months old. I've been BF and using Lact -aid since she was 6 weeks, after the accelerated protocol.

My question is this. Sometimes I can offer just the breast and afterwards she is not hungry. Could it be I am producing enough milk, even though I barely get 2oz when I pump?

At night she will take both breast and then 3 oz from a bottle.

She rarely turns down more milk, by lact aid or other.
Any thoughts?
my left side does not produce as much as my right, so she drains the right well.

I just want to make sure she is getting enough.

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
If she is having 6-8 really wet diapers a day and is satisfied without any weight loss she is getting enough.
Quote:
My question is this. Sometimes I can offer just the breast and afterwards she is not hungry. Could it be I am producing enough milk, even though I barely get 2oz when I pump?

So, yes you could very well be producing enough.

Instead of giving her a bottle at night I would just re-offer the breast for more nursing. If she goes for it then I would just keep doing that.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
A baby can definitely get more from the breast than a pump can. If you are pumping 2oz that is really great. Sometimes the supply dips in the evening and that is why she probably takes more supplement at night. I would try to feed her more frequently in the evening so she increases your supply at that time.
Jennifer

L
Lin Offline
L
Hello Everyone. I just signed up and I need some advice. I am in menopause due to surgery. I was put on HRT 3 years ago and my dr wants to stop my HRT meds next visit. I've already tried to reduce the dosage per his advice but I had hot flashed and started crying over every little thing. Does anyone know if I consider inducing lactation will it help lessen the side effects of coming off HRT meds. I have no libido on these HRT meds, but when I was lactating my libido was stronger than ever.
Does anyone have any advice? I hope I am in the right forum to ask.

I know when I did the protocol it help me alot. But I did NOT do it the all natural way. I did use the actual protocol with BCPs. The estrogen in them helped me with the hot flashes. Now... on the protocol I was emotional. Cried at a drop of a hat. But then the protocols make your body think its pregnant. So you have pregnancy emotions. When I started pumping I did have some hot flash issues. But not near as bad as they were before the protocol on no hormones. Pumping after protocol does help it did for me anyways

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
CO
J
J
CO
Hi. We are expecting our baby in early August. I had a lot of problems with IVF and am concerned about taking hormones to induce lactation. Wondering if there are protocols without hormones?

Jill
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I would start your own thread. You could only take the bcp's for 1-2 months. I think most people are more successful more quickly when they do the hormones first.
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.