Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12084 11/11/08 01:35 PM
S
SwT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I had just gave birth to a lovely baby boy. I had planned and intended to breast feed as much as possible to this newborn. Unfortunately, it's 3 weeks already and I found that I hv very little supply. My baby sucks well but I'm not sure if he is getting much or just sucking air?! When I pump to check, I can only get a few drops (<0.1oz!) I had some complications after delivering my boy and had to go through 2 operations. I had subtotal hysteractomy where my uterus were removed to stop internal bleeding.
I'm not sure if the low milk supply is attributed to any of the following -
a) weak due to operations
b) wrong pumping method (I used a battery-operated pump of PUREEN brand)
c) my age (I am 41 years old)

SwT #12085 11/11/08 03:33 PM
Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
SWT,

Don't be discouraged. There are helps out there that can increase your supply. Pumping NEVER is as good as what the baby extracts. Does your baby seem to be fussy after BF? Are you changing 6-10 wet diapers a day? Are you staying hydrated to the max?
I know that the other gals on this forum will have more practical, good advise but I just wanted to be encouraging to not give up!

Linda

SwT #12086 11/11/08 03:37 PM
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Your age would have nothing to do with your milk supply. Your pump may not be adequate. A double electric pump is best. I am not sure on whether the operations had any effect.

I would first thing get your baby's latch checked by a Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Even though baby is sucking doesn't mean they are latched properly. Proper latch is what expresses the milk and helps maintain and increase your supply. Also are you feeding on demand? Baby should not go longer than 3 hours in between nursing except maybe in the night for just a little longer stretch.
Is your baby gaining weight? Does he have 6-8 very wet diapers daily? Do you supplement his breastfeeding at all right now?

Last edited by Lalle; 11/11/08 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Lalle #12088 11/11/08 11:54 PM
Yes your hemmoraging during delivery is a BIG FACTOR in your milk supply not being adequate. I would see about getting some domperidone. And a lact-aid suplimenter. Your supply will take a bit longer to come in due to your bleeding issues at birth. But you want to keep him on the breast.I think fenugreek blessed thistle and domperidone will do wonders for you. Try to pump also after you nurse. Even if nothing comes out. Your body has been through some real trauma.. This is something that DOES happen many times in bleeding situations. But do not give up. Your supply will come in. It will just take it awhile

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Nona #12089 11/12/08 12:01 AM
Idaho
Idaho
I'm sorry I missed the whole hemorrhaging part of the post. I had this same problem with my first birth but didn't need a hysterectomy I had a rough time with my supply with him and no help. Nona gives good advice. I would try all those things and get your latch checked.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Nona #12093 11/12/08 04:33 AM
S
SwT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you all for the advice and encouraging words.
I hv not given up hope yet and is daily working on it. However, not sure how long I can sustain as I am really disappointing to see just a few drops came out whenever I pump. These 2 days, I stopped using the pump and tried squeezing out with my fingers. Alas, still hardly 0.1oz came out. In a day, I can't even cummulate 1oz! I had no choice but started my baby on formula while I continue to try to BF him. In betw his feeding time(I feed him 3oz of formula every 2hrs), I tried to let him suck on me. He seems to like it and continue sucking as long as I let him latch on till he dose off. However, I can't tell whether he is getting some milk or just sucking air?
My doc gave me some Calcium Lactate of which I hv been taking 1tablet per day daily from day I return fr hospital till now. I drink the "Dates concoction" daily ~4small size flask (from boiling some dry dates with some Chinese herbs for few hours)and 2 big bowls of soup every day.
I'm still on iron supplement (Sangabion), 2 tablets daily.

Nona, when you say it may take some time for my milk to come. Based on yr experience how long? I'm already in my 3rd week.

Lalle #12094 11/12/08 02:34 PM
S
SwT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Lalle, what do you mean by a double electric pump? What brand do you recommend?

SwT #12095 11/12/08 02:57 PM
Idaho
Idaho
The Medela Pump in Style is what is recommended for inducing lactation. For bio moms I think the Ameda Purely Yours works good too. A double pump means you are pumping both breast simultaneously. They are way more effective than hand held or battery operated. Also the Medela is hospital grade. Some insurance will cover breastpumps you should check with yours and get a prescription from your doctor to get one.
Have you watched any of the videos here on latching or using a supplimenter? Do you have any one on one support? Have you seen a lactation consultant at all?

Lalle #12097 11/13/08 01:08 AM
S
SwT Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Lalle, thx for the explaination. I don't hv any one-to-one BF support or any lactation consultant. There are some BF nurses in the hospital whom I consulted but the advice they gave are the typical ones.
How much does a Medela Pump cost?

SwT #12098 11/13/08 01:17 AM
Idaho
Idaho
It is about $200-250 I would check Ebay if your insurance won't pay for it. Also look at the Limerick PJ junior it is a excellent pump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.