#12199 12/15/08 05:17 AM
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
OP Offline
J
Illinois
I can't believe it. We were placed with our beautiful adopted daughter 1 year ago today. I did the regular protocol to induce lactation and got my first drops when I pumped an hour before we were placed with her. I started really breastfeeding her after a week and was able to start exclusively bf when she was 2 weeks old. It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I never thought we would make it this far. I had multiple clogged ducts and milk blisters in the early days and my supply would dwindle each time I got one. I also had a ruptured appendix when she was 3 months and she was able to be supplemented with the frozen supply I had pumped while trying to increase my supply. I remember asking my ped how long he had heard of someone bf an adopted baby and he said 6 months (he did add that most bio moms don't bf much longer than that). I hope to bf for at least a few more months (she still is not a great solids eater). I just feel so lucky to have had this special time with my sweet girl.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
Jennifer that is awesome Way to go!!!

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Awww I am so glad your still nursing!

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Nona #12233 12/19/08 07:58 PM
California
M
M
California
Jennifer,
Way to go, you are a champ!
I am also still breast-feeding my GS daughter, although we have only been at it 2 months. I am surprised that my supply keeps on going up each week, little by little, of course so does my DD demands. I nurse and i pump with the limerick. Although, i never made enough in the beginning to satisfy her, I supplememt with my own home-made formula, I make about 50% of her demands. It's enough to keep her protected. I hope that one day i will have enough for her, but it's OK if I don't.
Marica.

I am my husbands wife
My dogs mommy
Expecting our bundle of Joy October 2008
Illinois
J
OP Offline
J
Illinois
Marica - I had a hard time trusting that my supply would go up with her demand, but it did. She was a small baby and didn't eat very much at first. In the first month or two she would only take 1.5-2.5 oz per feed and I thought it was because it was all I had. But in retropect, I could always pump a little extra and she always seemed satisfied. I think it was all she needed. But I was kind of crazy with worry at the time. 50% is awesome. They say that even 2 oz a day provides immunity benefits. Way to go to you too!
Jennifer

California
M
M
California
Jennifer,
She was born 7lb 7 oz and took my breast milk for the first two days and then needed more! She was recently exposed to sick grandparents that stayed in our house for a week, and did not get sick, and then a friend with a cold came to visit and she was still fine. i think she is protected, and I love the bonding tie between us. I'll continue my efforts. i take dom 3 tablets 3 times a day and produce 12 oz per day sometimes more if i up my tablets to 4 times day. BUT, still not enough to meet her demands, but good enough for me.
Marica.

I am my husbands wife
My dogs mommy
Illinois
J
OP Offline
J
Illinois
Marica - That is great. I do take 3 tablets 4 times a day (since she was 1.5 months). I upped it when I was worried about keeping up with her need. It is about so much more than just the amount you can provide.
Jennifer

California
M
M
California
That's true! thanks Jennifer.
Marica.

I am my husbands wife
My dogs mommy

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.