Print Thread
#1222 04/23/03 06:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Im looking at breastfeeding, and want to try this with just herbs. I dont know when I will be matched up and when my baby will be here. I dont know the time frame of when to start and how long I should be on herbs before I begin pumping, etc. I have considered doing domperidone, but would like help with more natural way. HELP!

#1223 04/23/03 06:45 PM
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
For the natural way. You take 3 fenugreek capsules 3 times a day. And 3 Blessed thistles 3 times a day. The natural way is really slow. You can start pumping now... every 2 to 3 hours. And if your willing to take domperidone. The dose is 20 mg 4 times a day. You will need to build up to that. I would start with 10 mg 4 times a day and stick with that a week. Then add in after that. Also you can try oatmeal 3 times a week for breakfast and drink water to thirst. You could start pumping now.. As it may take several months to see any milk

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
#1224 04/25/03 02:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ragu,
Hello. I would also rec. you purchase several,,even up to six Lact-aid supplemental systems. This is a bag of donor milk or formula that you hang around your neck, a tube goes from the bag to your nipple. As the baby nurses, he/she will get the supplement and will also increase your supply. You can get these at www.lact-aid.com.
As Nona said, you may only see drops when you pump, so don't get frustrated. With the lact-aid and the baby nursing, your supply should increase to meet about 1/2 of babies needs. Some women make more, some less. It is important to remember it only takes 4 ounces a day of breastmilk to meet the immunological needs of the baby. And when you nurse, you will have the bonding and nurturing aspects, even if you do not produce much milk. Remember you need to use a hospital grade double electric pump. Let us know how things go for you...take care, Cathy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, I've figured out what a Lact-aid is...
Next question...I started pumping last week (several times a day). My breasts have increased in size by about 50% and I have some leaking. I have only this week found out about the protocols. Time isn't an issue but I'd prefer to start producing asap. I work full-time during the day and am able to work in pumping in the morning, evenings and nights. I haven't started taking Dom or herbs yet. When I have them, do I just start taking them and continue pumping? Sure wish I would have found you all last week!

#1226 09/11/03 04:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi,
When the domperidone comes, take it as Nona outlined. The herbs can also be started as soon as you get them,,,I also work full time, nights 12 hour shifts, find it hard to pump also. I try to sneak in a couple at night, one on the way home, one of the way in etc...I try to pump 4-6 x a day but its hard. Keep us posted,,that is a great sign that your breasts are already increasing! Take care, Cathy

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.