photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hello to everyone! I feel very blessed to have found this site! I am currently waiting on my medications (dom and Yasmin) to arrive so that I can attempt to get started. I am 38 years old and this will be our first baby. Hannah will be delivered in April and I am anxious to get started! I am currently doing research on a breast pump and would love any input from anyone. We do not have a whole lot of money to spend so I will need to save up to purchase it...I know I do not have much time either.

How many of you were in a similar situation and were successful with induced lactation? How long did it take you to start producing milk? Did you experience a lot of side effects? So many questions...so little space! I hope to get to know you all more!

Chelle

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Chelle,
Welcome. I started on the protocol while we were waiting to be matched. I was on it for 8 months. We received a last second placement so I started pumping the day we were placed with our daughter. I caught up to her need within 2 weeks and we have been exclusively bf since (she is 11 months now). I started making drops right away and was making about a teaspoon from each breast per session by day 3. By a week, I was making about 6-8 oz a day. I had no side effects except for a slight weight gain (7 lbs.) while on the BCP's and Dom. I lost some of it when I stopped the BCP's. I used the PJ's Limerick pump and I love it. If you can find one on ebay or elsewhere, I would recommend it. Let me know if you have other questions.
Jennifer

C
OP Offline
C
I have started pumping today and I got 2 drops out of my right breast and just little bubbles of liquid on my left breast. I have only pumped twice so far as I am pumping every 3 hours. My question is...is this normal? Should I be pumping more or less by now? Is it normal for one breast to pump more than the other? So many questions and so little time. I am at a maximum of 10 weeks out as long as she does not go early! Also, anyone have any fundraising ideas for adoption? Just found out yesterday I have to come up with 9K in 10 weeks or by delivery.

Thanks for any and all help with everything! I was just excited to see the two drops I did get! LOL

Michelle

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
Hi Michelle,

Getting drops on your first day is great! Your supply will build slowly as the days go by. Remember there is more to breastfeeding than just milk. My DD is 7 months old and only supplement once at night. Your body adjusts to the needs of your baby. Using the lact aid really help in the beginning.

Hope your fundraising goes well.

Toronto Ontario
M
M
Toronto Ontario
Hello,
I have never been on a board before. Usually I just read them and then I go on my merry way. So, I too am going to adopt an infant arriving in October /09 so I just started my induced lactation protocol today. I have a good 5 months so I'm happy with that. But I do worry about not having enough milk (and I know there is more to the BF than producing enough milk, like the attachment and bonding) so I was wondering if anyone living in Toronto has gone to any "breastmilk bank"? Does one such bank exist? Where does one get information about such places? I was going to ask the birth mother (my cousin) to provide some colostrum for the first few days but then pumping maybe too much to ask of her since she is giving me her child after all :-) Any thoughts?

Toronto Ontario
M
M
Toronto Ontario
Hey Michelle,
Have you got your baby yet? I am new to the board and also will be starting my induced lactation protocol with the hopes of breast feeding my adoptive baby (due october). Please keep in touch, I'd love to hear about how it's going for you!
I live in Toronto, just in case you ever wanted to hook up. Congrats by the way. I hope your fundraising efforts were fruitful-did you ever think about garage sales, asking family for loans, having a silent auction of donated things from businesses that you go to, credit line?
Take care!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.