photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#122 10/04/02 06:13 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi Lenore and congratulations on the official start-up of your board. In the past you have helped me greatly by keeping me inspired and answering my questions when I was at a loss. Our son is now 9 months old and I have been able to do bfeed him exlusively (with the exception of a 2 week period when he was 3 months old) and we are still going strong :-)

I am also a W/P mom and am able to pump more than enough so I am building up a nice freezer stash.

I do have a quick question. My twin sister is expecting any day now and we had a conversation about bfeeding in general. She told me that a friend told her that after the baby was born that she should NOT start building up a freezer stash. She said that "if" the baby is 3 months old and she decided to use her freezer stash that the baby may not receive the proper nutrients because a womans bmilk is constantly changing to suit the needs of the baby. I have never heard of such a thing and I was wondering if indeed the components of a womans bmilk changes as the baby gets older?

Regards,
Lisa
Adoptive mom to Ryan 9 months old

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Lisa,

Welcome, welcome. I'm so happy you found me.

Congratulations on your wonderful experience with breastfeeding!!! I'm sure that Dr. Newman will be as thrilled as I am to hear such good news. Thank you so much for posting. It is so helpful and inspirational to the ladies who are thinking about adoptive breastfeeding or who are in the process right now. Thank you. Thank you.

About your sister. Well. You're both right. It is true that breastmilk changes to suit babie's needs but this is really only "critical" in the first 10 days of life when bio breastmilk changes from collostrom to premilk to mature milk. Once the bio mom is producing mature milk, it doesn't change so drastically that it would be difficient in nutrients. The most changable variable is the fat content. This can change from day to day, or feeding to feeding depending on how efficient the baby is at draining the breasts.

We usually advise moms in our clinic to breastfeed (baby at the breast) for at least 6 weeks without any bottles or pacifiers if at all possible so that baby gets the very best start and mom's milk supply can build up.

Babies undergo several periods of growth spurts during the first 6 weeks. They usually happen at approx. 10-12 days post partum, approx. 3 weeks and 6 weeks. There is another one at around 3 months and 6 months. It is typical for a baby going through a growth spurt to be ravenous for 2-3 days. It will feel to the mother as if she doesn't have enough milk and that her baby is starving. This is nature's way of building the milk supply. It's upsetting if you don't know wha't happening and how to handle it.

When baby is going through one of these, best thing is to just hunker down and breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed.

Another typical behaviour is a period of fussiness every day, usually in the late afternoon or evening. Some babies fuss, some babies "cluster feed" (on the breast non stop). We refer to this as "grandmother's hour". It's the time of day when you want to call your mother to come RIGHT NOW because no matter what you do the baby won't settle and you're ready to tear your hair out. This is when help is most appreciated. If someone can come in and give mom a break, it will do wonders.

After the first 2 weeks post partum, mom can pump after feeds if she wants in order to build up a stash. The milk at the end of a feed will have a higher fat content and will be perfectly fine down the road. Milk pumped straight from the breast without feeding first is also fine.

You didn't mention why she needs to build a stash. Is this because she's going back to work or because she wants a caregiver to be able to provide the occaisional bottle? In that case, she can build quite a nice stash.

In any case, breastmilk in any form is MUCH better for baby than artificial infant milk (formula).

You may want to review some of the articles on this site. Just go to the breastfeeding section and you'll find "When Latching" that you can print out and give to your sister. It's wonderful at explaining the latching procedure. She can also view a video clip at www.breastfeeding.com that shows how the baby needs to be on the breast past the nipple for most efficient milk transfer. This page is particularly helpful http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_video.html This is the key to her success. If baby is well latched, she can avoid sore nipples and a hungry baby.

Congratulations to your sister on her impending motherhood, and to you on becoming an aunt in a short while. Please let sis know about this site so she can run to us for help if she needs to during "grandmother's hour". She's very lucky...she's in very good hands with you by her side.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #124 10/07/02 05:34 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I will definitely be sharing the website along with the information to my sister.

Thanks again!
Regards,
Lisa

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.