photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BeckC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I've glanced over this forum but everyting seems to include dom and/or bcp. I would rather induce without medication and am wondering if it's possible with just herbs and pumping and what kind of supply I can expect.

We're adopting a newborn and our expected wait is about 12 months. I've never been pregnant and I have PCOS.

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
BeckC I started off on my journey with just herbs and a lact-aid. Then later after my daughter arrived I added pumping after feeds and eventually did use dom. At that point I was supplying about 1/3 of her needs. I eventually went on the protocol and provided all of her needs but she was taking solids at taht point as well.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
Deleted~Double posted

Last edited by Lalle; 08/10/09 02:23 AM. Reason: Double post

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Idaho
Idaho
If you really have an aversion to the meds then I would do the Goats Rue and other herbs. Pump like mad before your baby arrives and use a lact-aid with donor milk plus whatever you have saved. (Using formula is an option in the lact-aid but baby will end up not nursing as often) Hope that helps.

B
BeckC Offline OP
OP Offline
B
It's probably a common concern, but I'm very wary of medication. I've taken bcp before and always had a bad emotional reaction. The exception was Yasmin but now I've seen something on TV (one of those lawyer warning commercials) about problems with YAZ and Yasmin. I haven't heard anything about domperidone, but I'm not sure how I feel about ordering medication online.

I'll do herbs regardless of whether I take meds. A friend recommended this tincture from Motherlove. Is there something else you would recommend?
http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_special.php

I'm planning to meet with a local naturopath and LC soon to discuss some of this stuff with them, but I wanted some advice from some women who have btdt.

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
From what I've read most women don't have much success without the domperidone. I've read stories of women that skipped the bcp's and just did the dom and had a good supply. Some of them said they tried without the dom and got little to nothing.

I did the protocol because I wanted to have the best supply possible without having to pump too long. I was able to catch up to my daughters need within 2 weeks (she was a last second placement so I didn't pump in advance). I had no problem with the BCP's or the domperidone.

If you want to try without it, I would just start pumping and see what you get. If you don't get anything or much, then you can rethink and add in the dom (and the bcp's if you want).

Good luck.
Jennifer

Idaho
Idaho
The tincture are not strong enough The recommendation for herbs is Fenugreek 3 caps 3x a day and Blessed Thistle same dosage. I think it is the same for Goats Rue. The goats rue helps build breast tissue.

W
W
hi, I'm waitingforbabyinOH. My GYN said he can't prescribe the dom because it's under investigation. Who did you get to write the script for the dom?

Idaho
Idaho
Dom is not under investigation. It isn't approved for use in the US. It is used in other countries and they have only found iv dom to have any dangers at all.
Most of us have gotten it off the internet www.clickremedy.com or www.inhousepharmacy.com the name for dom is Motillium

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.