photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
BC, Canada
BC, Canada
Jenny,
I adopted my oldest and youngest from the US. My middle daughter was a family placement so she was 3 and from BC, Canada where I am from. My US adopted kids were both newborn placements, as is this next one due in March!

I do what you do, pump and hang out on the adoption board or here. Works great!

Good for you for getting so much already! How long were you on the bcp? I was only on for 40 days. I couldnt tolerate the feelings I was getting on it so I went off early than anticipated. Plus, I was spotting for 3 weeks straight. It was so annoying.
Now, I am pumping 7-7.5 ounces a day and am hoping with christmas break here, I can up it some more. Do you pump at night? I was at first but its so hard to get up when there is no baby to wake up to! I decided I would start getting up through the night in February. That will give me just over a month to get used to the night time feedings!

I have a good tolerence to the pump. I was using the medela symphony but it was $125/month to rent so I borrowed a pump in style from my girlfriend. That works well too. I have had no problems this time with the suction. I tried pumping b4 my ds was born but it was so painful I had to stop. This time is much, much better.

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
Rapids Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
Hey there. Haven't been around much lately as I was off of work and our home internet connection was down.

I am up to 6+ oz per day now, after 3 weeks of pumping. I also switched from the 24mm flange to the 21mm flange with an improvement to the discomfort. It's still not pleasant to pump, but better and I can tolerate slightly higher suction with the smaller flange.

I took the bcp (yasmin) for 10 months. And I do pump at night, trying not to go more than 4.5 hours at night without pumping. Usually that means pumping between 9-10 pm, 2-3 am and again at 6-7 am. Then during the day it's mostly every 2-3 hours. I get 7-9 pumping sessions in per day, usually 8.

Since I'm up in the middle of the night anyway, I can now time my Dom and herbs doses. The Dom I take every 6 hours, the herbs every 8 hours. It's working out really well now.

Have you been able to up your output over the break? How's it going?

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010
H
H
I'm on the regular protocol but I'll only be on it for about 2 month's so really I should have started the accelerated protocol but oh well. I started that last time we were going to adopt and I had "break through bleeding" for 13 day's so I opted not to do that this time. I was on the accelerated protocol for about 2 month's then went off it for the past month because our adoption failed. We were matched again and I am back on the protocol. I'm hoping the fact that I was on it before will help but who knows. I'm really nervous about being able to produce enough milk for our LO. Also nervous about the adoption going through. I hope I can produce enough milk.

I've only been on the protocol this time around for about 17 day's now (with the 30 day break in between). It's good to hear people's success stories. But I also realize everyone is different.

BC, Canada
BC, Canada
Jenny, I am getting 8 ounces or more fairly consistently now. I havent had a lot of time to increase pumping sessions over the break but I still seem to be moving up!
When is your baby coming home? I am thinking that I maybe soon should start the night pumping sessions. I bet that will increase my supply.
I am still only getting to pump 4-5 times a day but no matter if I do 3 times or 6, I still get about the same, 6-7 ounces from one side and 1.5-2 from the other.
Is your production as lopsided as mine? haha

hvnsnt, when is your baby due? I started the accelerated protocol and started pumping in mid sept. with no match but I could not stand the dizzy spells or the spotting that I was getting from the bcp so I went off early. We did not get a match until november and the match was with an emom due in March. By then, I will have been pumping for 6 months! Crazy but I would not stop for anything now!

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!
H
H
Our BM is due in April. I'm very nervous though. Our last adoption failed when the BM went into labor so this time around no one knows about our match accept 2 of my closest friends. We aren't telling family and the rest of our friends till we are ready. We had to cancel my baby shower last time 2 day's before the shower (BM went into labor at 33 1/2 weeks).

I think I'm getting the growth again but no tenderness or anything.

Rapids Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
hvnsnt, I do like to read people's stories, too. It is so encouraging and helpful. Good luck with the current birthmom. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it was to lose the last one. Fingers crossed for you.

MamaT: I am also up to 8 oz/day and even pumped 9.5 day before yesterday!! WooHoo! We leave in 11 days to pick up our baby girl in Ethiopia. She'll be 10 months old, and I'm really hoping she takes the breast.

I've found it takes a few days at the same output before I'll have an increase. I wonder if you consistently increased the number of times/day you are pumping for a good week or so, if you'd notice an increase in output by then? I bet you would. My output is not as lopsided smile Sometimes both sides produce the exact same amount and sometimes one will produce a few ML more than the other, and it changes. Kinda weird that way. Hey, do you do compression while you are pumping, and hand expression afterward? That might help to fully empty the breasts and encourage an increase in output.

**Jenny**
BC, Canada
BC, Canada
I agree, it does take at least a few days at the same output before an increase. I also am busy and so finding time to consistenly pump more often will be difficult until baby comes. Emom is due in March, right in the middle of spring break so I may have a week or so to up the number of times, before we have to travel!
I do compression while I am pumping. I am seeing an increase in the slow side, but it is very slow! I am now getting about 50 -60 ml (1.5-2 ounces) per day on the slow side. The other side is at least 6.5-7 ounces. Weird! If I do have to supplement, it will be on the slow side I think!

Good luck with everything! You must be getting excited now!

We just found out yesterday, that we are expecting a baby GIRL!
Only 10 more weeeks!

Rapids Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
Oh, congratulations! Baby girls are so much fun to shop for!
I wonder why the slow side is so slow? Good sign that it's increasing though. The other side sounds like a great producer!

We ARE excited. Got her Ethipoian birth certificate yesterday with OUR names on it YAY!

**Jenny**
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
I don't know if this is a valid suggestion, but is it possible you have a clogged milk duct on your slow side? Have you had a doctor look at it? If it's an easy fix then it may be better to have it looked at sooner than later.

BC, Canada
BC, Canada
Yay, Jenny! That is so exciting! Yes, little girls are fun to shop for! This is girl #4 for us so our little man will be surrounded!

My slow side has always been slow. Right from the beginning. I have thought about that lately though. My dr did an exam and didnt feel anything...although that was at the very beginning when I was first pumping.

Who knows...At least I have one good side!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.