Next Thread
Print Thread
NE Italy, Aviano Air Base
Rapids Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
Hey gals! I have been pumping with a Medela Lactina (hosp grade) since Dec 3rd. It has never been comfortable, but has never been BAD until this last week. I'm doing everything I know to do and it's not going away. I am hoping someone can help me.

My nipples are red and really really sore on the parts that get suctioned into the flange tube. There's totally a line of demarcation between the red and the rest of the areola. It's not thrush, I'm sure of that. The nipples are sore like a bruise, and hurt during pumping. Afterward, while they are still erect they hurt even when my bra or shirt brushes against them. Later, they only hurt if touched.

I have been putting olive oil on them for the pumping sessions to lessen the friction, and changing between 21 and 24 mm flanges, just to change the amount of nipple/areola that gets suctioned. I even tried putting ice on them once after pumping which actually felt like it might have helped a bit. I use the lowest suction setting on the pump and the highest speed, pump for 10-15 minutes and then hand express.

Any suggestions? We pick up our baby in 4 days. She is 10 months old so likely won't take the breast right away. So I'll still be pumping for a while I think. I don't know what will feel less painful, nursing or pumping.

help me!!

**Jenny**
AP to Helina, home from Ethiopia at 10 months old in Feb 2010
Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Jenny do they blanch white at all? Make sure that your nipple is center in the flange and not pressing to one side or another. Maybe slow the speed down as well. You could try a nipple shield medela makes them and it will help to use those when transitioning your baby to breast. She is used to bottle nipples I am sure so will feel more like she is getting that when latching.

As for transitioning to breast their is a protocol I have saved in a file If you would like it give me your email and I will send it to you. The avent bottle nipples on #1 or slow flow are recommended as well so that getting the milk from a bottle isn't too much easier than breast.

Do you have a Lactation Consultant that you can get help with latching from? Watch all the videos here on this site on latching that will help as well.

Maybe email Lenore or Dr. Newman for more info on th epain.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Rapids Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
Hi Laurie, thanks for your suggestions. They do not blanche white. Were you thinking vaospasm? I considered that and ruled it out. I AM a lactation consultant, and this is my first *personal* experience with breastfeeding. I've been following my own advice, plus I took your suggestion and I did lower the pumping speed yesterday. Also I only pumped when I felt my breasts were full. So it ended up being 6 times instead of 7-8. Plus the olive oil (which I heard about here, would never have thought of it on my own), and it all seems to have helped. It's not as bad as yesterday, thank God, and I'm hoping for continued improvement.

I guess I'm an odd case, since noone else responded. Is it just me that doesn't tolerate the pumping well?

**Jenny**
Rapids Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
P.S. I think I have your protocol already, and I do have a nipple shield and a plan to get her to nurse. Thank you!! Wish me luck, we leave in 3 days!

**Jenny**
BC, Canada
BC, Canada
Jenny, I have never had a problem this time around but my sis in law, who is nursing a baby, did. She used a nipple shield for only 2 days to let her nipples heal and then she was able to slowly let her back on. Have you considered giving them a break? I know you dont have a lot of time but throwing the nipple shield on for a couple of days likely wont affect your supply.
Good luck!

Tara

mama to 3 beautiful adopted kiddos-Alexa (8), Angie(5), Jaxon (5) and hoping to bf our 4th little one...due March 2010!
My suggestion would be to put warm compresses on them before and after pumping.. Then to let them have some air after your done... warm compresses sure seemed to help my sore nipples. Ice NEVER helped me.

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Rapids Offline OP
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
Oh, GREAT suggestions! I'm going to keep those in my head for if this should ever happen to me again. The nipples are thankfully much better today and my strategy was olive oil and less frequent pumping. My output is about the same, so maybe I will stick to this new regime. I am STRONGLY considering using a nipple shield to transition Helina from the bottle to the breast. I will try plain old breast first, but if she doesn't take to it, or it hurts too much, then shield it will be for a couple of days.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions and encouragement!
I am so grateful.
Jenny

**Jenny**

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.