photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MrsMul Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My surrogate baby is due in just over 10 weeks. I REALLY want to breastfeed. My GP is currently doing some research as to whether she will be able to prescribe motilium (domperidone) for me, but I have stockpiled some fenugreek and blessed thistle.

I bought the Medela In Style Advanced double electric breast pump, and while I am waiting on my GP getting back to me though it might be a good idea just to start pumping to get my breasts ready? - don't know if I'm doing the right thing or not. Should I be taking the fenugreek and the blessed thistle now, or should I wait until I start producing something/anything?

I have looked at the protocols and they do look amazing, but my doctor won't give me the BCP because of raised blood pressure, so the best I can hope for is domperidone + herbs and the worst scenario is just pumping and herbs.

If I pump religiously for 10 weeks and take the herbs (and hopefully the domperidone too) do you think that is long enough to get any milk in to the feed the wee one. Obviously I'm hoping that once she starts feeding, her natural suckling and feeding will be the best way to bring my milk supply fully in.

I'm also going to buy some medela SNS so that I can have skin to skin and breast feed immediately baby is born.

Any advice gratefully received. I'd hate to think that all those hours spent pumping would just be a waste of time, but I had heard that some people can induce lactation just pumping alone and thought it had to be worth a try.

Thanks in advance for your advice - any of which will be gratefully received

Last edited by MrsMul; 01/27/10 12:59 PM.
Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
I don't know why you can get the domperidone without the GP's prescription. I got mine from Inhouse Pharmacy without a RX and it arrived in less than 2 weeks. Without at least doperidone very few women are able to pump much milk.

I couldn't take BCP's as well. I pumped for 7 months using herbs and domperidone, including Goat's Rue which helps with breast tissue!! I got 6 oz at the end. Just know that likely you will never be able to supply her fully without doing the protocols, and that's okay.

I would buy the Lactaid nursing system as it is designed for adoptive moms. Unlike the SNS system which works through gravity and is good for babies with poor sucking, the Lactaid requires the baby to suck to get the supplement. This means that the baby's time at the nipple is the same and their sucking means more milk. Using the SNS can actually hurt your supply because the baby can be feed quickly with little good sucking.

My daughter was also born via surrogacy and I nursed her for 8 1/2 months. It is something I take great pride in and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Breastfeeding is more than breast milk. Looking down at my daughter at the breast was so satisfying!! It may all those months of pumping worthwhile.

You can PM me for more details if you would like.

Congratulations on your upcoming birth!!

Last edited by michelep; 01/27/10 03:10 PM.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
M
MrsMul Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you so much for that.

My GP has hinted that if I am prepared to sign some sort of waiver/disclaimer then she MAY be able to prescribe the domperidone which would be great. I see her next week, but in the meantime I am just going to continue with the pumping to get myself into a routine and will probably start taking the herbs too.

I will definitely get the lact-aid rather than the medela now.

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Michele gave you great advice. The lact-aid will help bring in milk also and give your baby so many of the breastfeeding benefits too. It isn't all about the milk with breastfeeding. Good luck to you.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I also wanted to add that sometimes even with a prescription domperidone is pretty expensive in the US because it has to be compounded. You might be best off ordering it from inhousepharmacy.com Unless it is covered by your insurance. Mine was for a while, but I don't think most insurance covers it. When it stopped being covered, it would have cost $200 per month.
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.