Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Candace, noone ever said adoption was easy..I have learned to be the flexible and "go with the flow" otherwise you will go crazy.
take care,
Cathy

extra helpful experienced member
Cathy,
I have a few suggestions to help you milk come on along.. Try taking 400 mg of Lecithin 4 times a day. Thats what Lenore told me to do and it helped.. I had lumps and they were sore.. It got the milk flowing... Also try warm compresses before you pump and massaging before and during.. and last... try pressing the side of the horn in either side and see if that helps.. I always get more when I press the edge in.
hugs. Nona

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Nona, I will try that. I am getting about 1 tsp per pumping, 8x a day,,,what does that translate to? I can't remember the conversions. I have some Soothies, I will start using them warm. Thanks , Cathy

Cathy,
Thats an 1 1/2 ounces a day!!! 3 tsp. equal 1/2 ounce.. Way to go girl!!

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hey Cathy,

YOU"RE DOING GREAT!!!!! Remember I only had 1/8th of a tsp at this point and I went on to produce 32 oz per day. You're ahead of ME. Keep up the good work and you'll get there. Next week should be a lot easier once the bcp is out of your system.

For the crummy feelings on the domperidone, try St. John's Wort. Worked for me.

Hang in there.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks Nona,
I guess I should start saving it,,,I was waiting for it to actually get into the bottom of the bottles before I save it..right now it keeps backflowing and staying the the phlange and the horn..I will use a needle and syringe to try to catch the milk. Thanks, Cathy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Lenore,
My milk is still pretty thin, but is white in color now. It is hard for me to save it , it doesn't go into the bottle yet, it keeps back flowing into the phlange. I will get some Lecihtin, my breasts have alot of very hard lumps. I did not realize that 3 tsp is 1/2 ounce. I feel better about things now.
I actually have some St.Johns Wort and SamE at home, maybe I will start them again. Thanks alot, Cathy

R
R
Cathy,
You are on your way! Congrajulations! Please consider yourself pumping in ounces a day not teaspoons. I think that you will feel better about what you are producing that way. I do not know much about lecithin but I do know that lenore and Nona know what they are talking about. Maybe the lumps have been causing you to not be able to pump as much. I feel that this upcoming week you will see even more progress. At times it seems slow but you will see increases. For me just starting out it was hard to see increases. I think too that it is stressful just starting out pumping. We have to suddenly get used to doing something new. I think that once we are more accustomed to pumping that we relax more and are able to produce more milk. I know that was the case with me. You are doing great pumping 8 times a day. This week it has been hard some days to do that. Today though I am going to pump 8 times. I am going to force myself to. I want to reach my next goal not stay where I am. Isn't it amazing that our bodies do what they do.

Take Care,
Bella

H
H
Hi Cathy! Wow, I must say you are amazing! To be prepared to pump for many months - you are so dedicated! Keep your chin up, I bet things will start to happen for you!

I'm a bit new and I only have my own limited experience behind me, so please forgive me if any of my suggestions are things you've already found to be unhelpful. I started pumping while using domperidone, but without the protocol, as I thought I had very little time before we were to go to be with our child. It went well - after almost three months I was pumping 18 oz. per day. But I would have gotten only half of that had I used my pump only. Though the pump did work a lot better if I used breast compression. I would pump sometimes with manual expression afterward, or just manually express - 6-8 times a day (including once at night in the last month). I did notice that if I went too long between expressing sessions I got hard lumps in my breasts, and those required extra work/massaging, but ended up being just full glands, and I could express them back to suppleness every session. I didn't take the advice to make pumping sessions short but frequent - usually I tried to empty my breasts completely each session - sometimes taking over an hour if they were really full (though usually closer to 20 minutes), expressing one, then the other, back and forth emptying each one after successive let-downs until I was getting very little at all from either one. I also have to mention that I've never seen another woman manually express, so I kind of had to figure it out alone with the written descriptions I could find - I don't know if I'm doing it perfectly correctly but it seems to work. I'm really not gentle at all - I don't have any bruising and it doesn't hurt me at all, but both people who have seen me have said it LOOKS like it must hurt. I don't know if any of this is new at all to you, just thought I'd put it out there just in case. Oh, and it always seemed like I was hitting plateaus that I couldn't get past - like 4 oz., then 7, and 11 seemed to go on forever. ;-) But it did increase. Every time I had a marathon day of 9-10 sessions I would see an increase, but only 2-3 days later. Often, the day or two after that marathon session, my supply would actually seem to go down an ounce or two.

And good luck with Guatemala, Cathy! Adoption makes my head spin and I'm realizing that it's utterly impossible to predict what will happen. I'm the person who had a nearly completed adoption fall through in Bolivia because of political unrest and adoption miscommunication between countries. We were then almost finished with paperwork for Peru when I realized it was likely to take a long, long time there, too, despite what Peru was promising. I got depressed and stopped expressing - just couldn't keep it up for an undefined time period that could run to years. I started to think about trying infertility treatments (we hadn't tried anything yet - thought we'd adopt first since we'd always wanted to adopt), and called my social worker to discuss it. Turns out she had a bunch of birthmoms due in the next 2 months in the Marshall Islands, with 4 families waiting for girls but no one interested in boys at the moment, and we were paper ready after prepping for Peru. Well, after thinking about it for a few days, we decided to pull our Peru app and go with the RMI on Sunday. On Monday night a baby boy was born, on Tuesday morning we received the referral, Wednesday we named him, and Thursday we got a picture of our beautiful little guy! We're hoping to be able to go to the RMI in the next 6-8 weeks to bring him home. Needless to say, I'm pumping up a storm again, and am back at about 10 oz. per day - thank goodness it's going a lot faster the second time around! It's international, but an open adoption, and still not absolutely certain. The birthmom or birthfamily could yet change their minds, or changing INS procedures there might slow us down. But it looks good so far. So keep hoping, you just absolutely never know what might happen!

Take care and congratulations on your building supply!!!
Heidi

Cathy,
Go to the nursery in your hospital and see if they have a 2 ounce feeder. Use 2 of them on your horns.. they measure in millimeters. 5 mil is a tsp. And to help get the milk into the bottles.. Lean forward as you pump. Once your done pumping... unscrew the bottles and pop off the yellow diaphram holder. Then pour the milk in it into the bottle. Thats what I do when I am done pumping. Just don't stick your yellow cap on tight.. I just slip my on lightly snug.. that saves you from having to use a needle and syringe. Another trick to help you with the milk that is on the flange.. Go to walmart and get a ear bulb syringe. You can squeeze air at the milk like blowing on it and it will all run down and collect in the yellow cap and then into the bottle.. It works great.. no waste that way. It helps so much in the beginning
hugs, Nona

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.