Print Thread
CO
J
jtlevi Offline OP
OP Offline
J
CO
Hello.

We have had a hellish week with our adoption. We are cautiously moving forward but realize we are taking a risk as there are some red flags. I have been on the regular protocol for 3 months and plan to begin pumping this week. The baby is due in mid-August.

I don't want to jinx anything but just want to be prepared. Should this adoption not work out, how do I wean myself off pumping and go back on the medication portion of the protocol (we would sign up with an agnecy right away).

Just curious.

Thank you.

Jill
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I am in the same situation with a baby due in early August. I am not going to start pumping until closer to the due date (maybe 2 weeks before). If it doesn't work out, I will slow down pumping a lot and start back on the bcp's. That should actually help to dry you out. I will continue on the dom at the same levels.

Jennifer

M
M
How is it going with you Jill and Jennifer?
Praying things have worked out. smile

Personally I would keep pumping, you can store the milk in the freezer. That way you have it on hand when you are placed with a baby. smile

CO
J
jtlevi Offline OP
OP Offline
J
CO
Our baby is due on Monday. I started pumping 6 weeks ago and am up to 3.5 ounces a day. Our fingers are crossed that things go smoothly.

Jill
M
M
That is wonderful news that your baby is due on Monday. Praying for you!!! 3.5 ozs a day is really good. Once you are placed with the baby the baby will increase your supply!

Blessings to you all!

D
D
Everyone is different, as far as what they want to do after an intended placement doesn't go through. Some keep pumping like they were, some reduce the amount of pumping, and some find that it becomes too painful and stop completely. It also sometimes depends on what the likelihood is of there being another possible situation, soon. Anyone who has been pumping quite a bit of milk and wants to stop, or reduce the amount, should do so gradually. Domperidone should be reduced gradually, too. A lady I met on another site was pumping 20 ounces a day, when the intended birth mother decided to keep the baby. She chose to gradually stop everything, and just keep the milk she had frozen.

I think that is one of those things that it is hard to predict exactly how you might feel about it until you are actually faced with it. Although you certainly hope you won't ever have to find out, it is probably good to consider it. It happens to quite a few of us who try to adopt very many times. I had to give back a baby I'd had for 24 hours, once, but I also got six babies that I got to keep!

Best Wishes,
Darillyn

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.