photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Well so far I haven't found anyone else like me. I breastfed my daughter until she was 11 months old, and then she pretty much weaned herself. However, she just turned 4 and now we're finding that she is extremely lactose intolerant and unable to digest any of the normal milk alternatives. We've tried soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, lactose free milk, goat milk (expensive!!), just about everything. Most of it gives her a tummy ache and diarrhea. Rice milk is ok in small amounts but it's so nutritionally poor that I hate having her use it much.

So, I've been doing a lot of research about how breast milk has been shown to benefit all ages, especially kids up to age 8, but even adults! So I want to start up lactating again so my daughter will have a great source of nutrition. I DON'T plan to put her on the breast, I just want to have her drink breast milk the way she would normally drink any other milk. If I have extra I'll make ice cream for the family, LOL!

So, here are my constraints: I can't use hormones or drugs due to fibromyalgia, so I want to go completely natural with herbs and stimulation. And obviously since I don't have a baby any more and don't plan to any time soon, it's just me and a breast pump.

My questions:
-How long do you think it will take me to bring my milk back?
-What are the best doses and types of herbs to take?
-What is the best pumping schedule for me to do?
-Am I completely out of my mind?

Thanks for any and all input!

Cochabamba, Bolivia
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Cochabamba, Bolivia
I think that this is great. I don't know how long it will take to establish your milk supply without the domperdome. I would definitely purchase a good pump to help that process.

What about writing Lenore with your specific questions. she is a wonderful resource.
btw, my dd is lactose intolerant and we didn't find out till she was 11 months old. Luckily, soy or almond milk works fine.

good luck!

D
D
For one thing, you are certainly not crazy! I think you are a very good mother who wants the best for her child! As far as what to do, many moms can't pump a whole lot without taking domperidone, but some can. It tends to take a while, though, and lots of dedication, to get things started.

Are you concerned about taking birth control pills and domperidone together, or taking domperidone alone? I also have fibroyalgia. I wouldn't take dom and BCPs together, either. I didn't have access to domperidone when I was breastfeeding my adopted children, the youngest of whom will be sweet 16 this summer. I nursed on demand with the Lact-Aid and took fenugreek and produced up to 16 ounces a day. I did order some domperidone, once, about 7 or 8 years ago, because I was so curious to get an idea of how it would affect me. I took 30 mg a day and after about a week of that, without doing any breast stimulation, I could hand express large drops of milk. I actually liked how I felt on it and stayed on that low dose for about six months. My cycles stopped, which would have been a big help with milk supply. With my babies, it would take about three months of nursing on demand for my cycles to stop. It is extremely helpful to get your cycles stopped, since every period sets you back on milk production. Its like two steps forward and one step back, every month.

What I would suggest is to go ahead and try just lots of pumping and herbs, oatmeal, and lots of fluids. If you don't see much response after three or four weeks or so, then you could consider trying domperidone, starting at a lower dose. By much response, I mean being able to pump enough per session to pour out of the container, and seeing at least a small increase from the start of a week to the end. I can't say for sure, but it could be that just four ounces a day or so would be enough to make a big difference in your daughter's health.

I suggest purchasing a top rate double pump, like the Medela Pump In Style. You can also buy a kind of bra that will hold the pump horns on so that you don't have to sit and hold them and have your hands free. Some moms just get a sports bra and cut holes in it, for a more economical version.

Hope that helps! My granddaughter is here and needs attention!

Darillyn
[email protected]

S
S

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.