photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
k-chart Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I emailed Lenore some questions yesterday but there seems to be a wealth of information and knowledge here too. I was referred to this site by some women through our adoption agency.

During our home-study process, we found out we were pregnant. We lost our baby son at 23 weeks just over two weeks ago. We are devastated but have chosen to return to our adoption process immediately. My milk is currently in but probably dwindling. I was interested before in induced lactation/adoptive breastfeeding for our future children and it seems like I have a unique opportunity to continue producing milk right now. We will complete our home-study in about 6 weeks and while there are no guarantees, we anticipate that the process may move quite quickly. I may decide that this is too much to keep up, but at least for now - I would like to give it a go. This was our first, so I really am new to the world of breastfeeding.

What are some things I can do currently to keep up my supply? I have contacted some places about renting pumps and will hopefully hear back tomorrow.

Texas
T
T
Texas
First, I'm sorry for your loss. Second, I wish you best of luck with your adoption!

You'll want to rent a hospital grade pump if that's possible. Speaking as someone who has used both consumer grade and hospital grade, the consumer grade pumps are borderline painful by comparison. If it's not possible, you can get by with a consumer pump.

For your pumping schedule, every 3-4 hours or so is probably good until you're through the homestudy. Once you're closer to a placement, you'll want to ramp up the pumping schedule to every 2 hours during the day and every three at night, both to increase supply and to mimic the feeding schedule of a newborn.

In addition, going on an herb regimen will help. Fenugreek (use with caution if you're asthmatic), fennel, blessed thistle (NOT Milk Thistle), and alfalfa are all things used to increase milk supply. Another tip is to eat oatmeal at least 3 times a week.

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I am so sorry for your loss.

I have used the medela pump in style and had good luck with it. It would be much less expensive to buy than to rent long term.

I think fenugreek is the most effective herb. You need to take 3 capsules 3 times a day to get the effects.

If your supply doesn't pick up around the time the baby is born, you could add in the domperidone to give yourself a boost. Since you are inducing after a pregnancy, you might not need to used it longterm.

Good luck.
Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.