Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14185 05/12/11 01:52 PM
J
Jessica Offline OP
OP Offline
J
We are adopting a baby that is due on August 5th. I have started the Yasmin and 20mg domp. last week. I have been looking for more information on supplemental feeding and I just am not sure which system is the best. I hope to get to the point where I will not need to supplement at all but understand that I need to be prepared. Does anyone have any recommendations on either the lact-aid or the sns systems. Thanks for any information

Colorado
M
experienced member
experienced member
M
Colorado
Lact-aid hands down!! The advantage of the Lact-aid is that the baby only gets milk by sucking on the breast. This sucking stimulates your body to produce more milk. The SNS is meant for babies who have a poor latch or a weak suck so it flows by gravity. Over time this may actually hurt your supply as the baby doesn't spend as much time on the breast before they are satisfied.

Michele
Mommy to Danielle born 5/30/08 and Brady born 12/26/10
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I don't have a recommendation, but just wanted to make sure you were taking 20 mg of dom, 4 times a day. It was unclear from you post.
Jennifer

J
Jessica Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes I am taking the 20mg of domp. 4 times a day!

D
D
The Lact-Aid is better in several ways. I have used it a lot, but also used the SNS quite a bit, too. One of the best things about the Lact-Aid is that it is much easier to conceal under clothing and a lot less noticeable while you are wearing it. I really liked the fact that I could have one all ready to go, in the fridge, with the neck cord all ready adjusted. I could just grab it and pop it over my head, unwind the tube and get it in place and get the baby latched, without even having to put the baby down. When the babies were tiny, I would take the chill off the milk, but all that entailed was putting hot water in a drinking glass and holding the bag in it for a few seconds. The two tubes of the SNS make it seem like it might be easier because of not needing to move a tube to switch sides. However, because of the two tubes, which are twice as long as the Lact-Aid tube, and the way that the SNS has to be hung upside down and the tubes positioned in a specific manner, getting set up to nurse with the SNS requires two hands and takes probably 4-5 times as long to get set up with. When you have a baby screaming to be fed, every extra second can seem like a long time, especially if it is the middle of the night and you are hoping to keep from waking everyone else up.

Another thing is that the SNS is harder to use without taping the tubes. With the Lact-Aid, it often helps to tape the tube when you and the baby are very first learning to nurse but, after that, there is usually no need to tape. The problem with tape is that even the gentlest kind gets to be pretty irritating when you have to keep taking it off over and over.

I am extremely thankful for the Lact-Aid, which made it possible for me to nurse my six adopted babies, the last four of whom were able to self-wean, which they did at an average of about two and half years old.

Best wishes to you!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.