Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jolynn Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My husband and I are adopting in 6 weeks; we just found out last Thursday. I really want to breastfeed our new baby, but am not sure about the success of the accelerated protocol. I met with my ob-gyn yesterday and she was not so familiar with it, so she called a reproductive endocrinologist. He was not positive at all and said that it most likely woulnd't work.

I am still going to try and am hoping that I will have a good result. I breastfeed our first child about four years ago and am hoping that my body "remembers how". It would be great if I could hear from someone who has done the accelerated protocol successfully.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Hi Jolynn,

The accelerated protocol does work. It takes commitment. Do you have the Dom and birth control pills to start?

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I did the regular protocol and got a full supply. I have heard from others who did the accelerated protocol and had success too. You need to start on the dom and bcp's right away.
Jennifer

J
Jolynn Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I will pick them up from the pharmacy today. I will keep posting as I go along with any questions. Thank you for the quick response.

J
Jolynn Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the reference to the success stories. It is just so disheartening when the "professional" says that it won't work. Your response really helped emotionally.

Michigan, USA
D
D
Michigan, USA
Jolynn,
Good luck with your adoption and doing the accelerated protocol. My husband and I are waiting to be chosen by a birthmom. I am excited for you that you have been matched! Best wishes!

Kim

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
You do need to remember that success can mean different things. Some people may get a half supply and have to supplement some. Any bm you give will benefit your child. Also, remember it doesn't come in like a child you gave birth too. The supply builds slowly. So you may not have enough right away, but that doesn't mean you never will.
Jennifer

J
Jolynn Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you all for the support. Kim, we will keep you and your husband in our prayers!

I am 11 days into the accelerated protocol and I am very hopeful; we pray for success in this every night. I will continue to keep you updated.

Jennifer, thanks for the varying view of success. Ideally a full supply would be the goal, but I will be happy with any amount of BM that I can give. I also want to use the nursing time to bond with the baby because there is nothing that I know of that is a more intimate bond with a baby than nursing.

Any thoughts on supplemental feeding devices (the kind that have the baby at the breast but use a bag and tube). Also do you think that the Medela Pump in Style is up to the task or is there a better one to try?

Illinois
J
J
Illinois
I did not have success with a supplemental feeding system. I tried it and it was complicated, so I just focused on pumping and bottle supplemented when needed. But I have heard the lactaid is the way to go.

I liked the pump in style. I also had the Lymrick PJ's comfort and I liked that too.

Jennifer

M
M
I did have success with the Lact-Aid system, but not at first. It takes patience or at least with my ds it did (not to mention me LOL).

Like Jennifer, I also used the Pump in Style and the Limerick PJ Comfort Breast Pump. I loved the Limerick, it was just more comfortable for me. Keep in mind, you need to do what will work the best for you.

Adoptive breastfeeding was not as easy as I thought it would be, but I did breastfeed my ds and I am delighted that I got to. smile

It is work, but well worth the effort! I am so thankful I did it! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.