Next Thread
Print Thread
#14726 06/12/12 04:42 PM
P
PaminLA Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello all!

I've just registered here and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm a mother to a five and a half year old daughter (through my own pregnancy). She stopped nursing a couple of days after her fifth birthday (the last 12 months of "nursing" was just before sleep, 10 minutes at most, questionable whether there was any milk at all).

I'm expecting through a gestational surrogate in mid December and interested in nursing again (I had a hysterectomy after my daughter's birth, I have my ovaries). We are just now at 13 weeks pregnant and I am still terrified of losing this baby, but at the same time, I know if I wish to nurse, I should start my research now. I've been reading about the Newman-Goldfarb protocol and other websites that recommend other protocols, some without any medications.

On my to do list is call my local La Leche leader, my LC from 5 years ago when my daughter was born, my OB and my GP. I live in Los Angeles.

So thank you in advance for any advice. I 'll be reading for a while before posting specific questions.

xoPam

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
Welcome Pam! For the best results I would recommend the regular protocol since you have the time. There is no guarantee what kind of results you would get with the other protocols that don't involve medication. There is more to breast feeding than the amount of milk you produce though.

Good luck!

Additionally you can get the medication for the regular protocol on inhousepharmacy.biz which may be easier than going through your doctor.

P
PaminLA Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks Claudia.

I was just wondering whether I would be in a better position to re-lactate if I started pumping now rather than starting the med. protocol now and pumping 6 weeks before delivery. Although I don't have milk right now, I still do have bits of dried up milk that come to the surface.

I will begin by calling my OB and have her call in an rx so I can start stockpiling the pills (insurance won't fill it every three weeks, I don't think)

But the again...I don't really want to pump for the next six months...

Lots of information. I'm glad I found this resource.

Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
Pam,
I had a bio son that stopped bf about 18 months before we adopted our daughter. I did the regular protocol. We had a stork drop situation, so I started pumping the day we were placed with our daughter. I built up to her needs within 2 weeks (but she was small, so her needs were pretty small too). We were able to ebf from that point on.

I don't know if having nursed helped me in my supply. I do think it helped that I knew how to nurse a baby. My experiences were totally different. I worried about supply a lot more (I never had supply issues with my son).

I was not prepared to pump long term. Even when we adopted again and were matched ahead, I did not start pumping until 10 days before she was born.

If I was in your situation, I would start the regular protocol now and start pumping 6 weeks before the baby was due (since you know the baby is yours - which is different than our adoption situation).

I also used inhousepharmacy.biz. I think you can get bcp's there too.

Jennifer

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.