Print Thread
#153 10/08/02 04:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have been matched with a baby due in 2 months. I have started using Blessed Thistle, Fennel, Fenugreek and Nettle for the past 3 weeks. I just started pumping this week. I have already felt some changes. I hope I can have some milk when she is born!

Pam

#154 10/09/02 02:27 AM
CA
CA
Pam!!

Welcome, welcome. There are many ways to nurture our babies. Some moms don't do any preparation at all before baby's arrival and others use herbs and pump as you are doing and still others use the medicated protocol that has recently come to us by way of Dr. Newman.

When I was breastfeeding, the medications that were available bothered me. I was concerned about the amount that would end up in my baby. But I also worried about feeding my baby modified milk from a cow that came in a can. It's a trade off and each woman has to weigh what's right for her.

The herbal combination that worked best for me was fenugreek, blessed thistle, alfalfa and marshmellow root. It's important to pump often and with a good pump. I used a hospital grade electric pump that allowed me to pump both breasts at the same time.

You can supplement your own milk and help it to come in by feeding your baby at the breast with a supplementary nursing system like the Lact-aid. Many mothers successfully breastfeed this way.

Try to focus not on milk supply but rather on the nurturing relationship between you and your baby which is best accomplished at your breast.

Abby Wife to Don, mom to Tess 14, and Chad 9
Abby #155 10/14/02 12:42 PM
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
yes alfalfa is great for making your milk creamier

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
#156 02/04/03 04:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello, I am a health reporter with CBC TV News in Montreal. I would like to speak with a woman, such as yourself, on induced lactation methods for breastfeeding an adopted child.
If you would like to respond
gerri_barrer@cbc.ca

tel: 514-597-6363
Thanks!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.