photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could answer?

I followed the Newman-Goldfarb Accelerated protocol, with Yasmin for 40 days and 20mg of Domperidome 4 times a day - my breasts increased by one cup size during this time. After the 40 days, I stopped the Yasmin but continued with the Domperidome and started to pump for the next month every 3 to 4 hours and once during the middle of the night. After the month, I was able to pump about 60ml per day.

Shortly afterwards, our baby we were adopting was born and I started breastfeeding immediately. At first it went great, although the hospital in the US was a little sceptical. Then we reached day 5 and suddenly I didn't seem able to meet the demand and we had to start supplementing with an SNS. She would nurse constantly and not get full and come off the breast crying.

Since then, I have been trying to increase supply, although it has increased a little, there hasn't been a big increase.

When she complains that there's no more milk and she's sucking but not swallowing, I am able to hand express a couple drops off milk but not a whole lot. (I did exclusively breastfeed my other bio daughter for 2 years, she's now 5.)

Having followed the accelerated program is it possible to increase to a full supply? Our baby is now almost 8 weeks old. I am taking last week and this week to focus fully on increasing supply.

I am taking 3 fenugreek and 3 Blessed Thistle 3 times a day and pumping every two to three hours or after every feed using a hospital grade pump through the day and night for 10 to 20 minutes a time, but I'm on day 3 and not seeing much change in supply. Our baby is still taking about 3 to 4 oz of formula per feeding, more in the evening, less in the morning.

Is it still possible that I can increase supply? or have I reached my limit?

I really appreciate your input!

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
I think you are still increasing and can continue increasing your supply. There may be a couple of things at work here. 1) the baby needs more milk because its growing. You supply isn't decreasing necessarily, it just isn't increasing at the same rate as demand. 2) Are you sure that the latch is ok? If the baby isn't latched correctly, it will affect your supply.

Are you pumping after any feeds? It may be too much to do this after every feed but the more stimulation, the more your body will respond with more milk.

MA
C
C
MA
Dr Newman now recommends higher dosage of Domperidone. He told me to up dosage to 3 - 4 times a day and 4 - 4 times a day being the max dosage.

Colette
Illinois
J
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
J
Illinois
I would definitely increase my dosage of dom. I went up to 120 mg a day. I also would try a day of a nurse-in. Just nursing on demand. Stay in bed and do it. Try to only supplement a couple of times (so she demands more often the rest of the time). I have said this before, but when I stopped supplementing, it was a total leap of faith, because I wasn't making as much as she needed, but my body did catch up. But I was only a few ounces behind her need. I found a baby scale to weigh the baby before and after a feed very helpful to give me comfort that she was getting enough.

Good luck!
Jennifer

D
D
This thread is a little old, but I just wanted to say that, usually, as long as you are nursing on demand, doing any supplementation that is needed by Lact-Aid or SNS, milk supply will continue to build until the time that the demand decreases. That's usually when baby starts taking other foods and becomes more active. Some build faster than others, of course.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.