Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
crow32 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi, I'm brand new here, and think I posted this the first time in the wrong forum lol smile
I have an odd situation, and hopefully can find some insight and support here...

My 20 month old son, has suffered from eczema since approx 4 months old. I quit breastfeeding at 11 months or so, with fear that it was my milk (what I was eating) that was causing it. I stayed away from dairy, gluten, and a variety of irritants during breastfeeding.
So, around 12 months, he started doing more and more solids. We've eliminated gluten, tried goat milk, raw goat milk, almond milk, coconut milk (we currently combine almond/coconut for him), we use probiotics, coconut oil on his skin, have treated him with fungal creams, no more processed foods - I make everything, including bone broth, which is great for the gut and skin. We do green smoothies (spinach, banana, milk, etc...) to keep him alkaline. We even make our own juice, he's really never had juice from concentrate.
Long story short, we have tried everything! And while we have seen a 60-70% improvement, its scary because every time the eczema will being to go into "remission" (its never totally been gone), then it comes back WORSE than before.
I've read A LOT on vegan diets, and have even done raw vegan diet (raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds only) myself for periods of time, have done juice fasts, and eat very clean. So, I feel confident that my body/milk is at its highest quality right now.
I am NOT comfortable putting my toddler on a high raw vegan diet at this age, without the support of breastmilk, as it is so comprehensive in so many ways I am not interested in putting him back to the breast, but would like to pump and give him 16-20oz a day to supplement him and see if that helps him once and for all.
I never had milk supply issues (he's my youngest of 3 children), and I can still express something from my nipples if I squeeze at them.

My 20 month old is otherwise happy, healthy (only been sick once in his life besides this eczema), and is one of the biggest kids in my "Mommy group" of about 100, that we've all known since we were pregnant. So, he's doing great.

Recommendations on pumps and any advice would be so helpful!
Thank you so much smile

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
I would recommend that you do the accelerated protocol. Being on the birth control pills and dom for a month will get your body ready to make the amount of milk that you are looking for. After 30 days you should go on a strict pumping schedule and your milk will gradually come back. You could just start pumping now, but I think you will not see the results you are looking for. Keep us updated on your progress. Best of luck!

C
crow32 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you! I do have ortho tricyclen pills that I never used, we just use condoms for birth control now. Would those particular birth control pills work for this purpose? And then I quit after 30 days?
I had a medela single electric that I really liked, but am looking for a double sided now... Not sure if sticking with Medela is a good idea, or if I should find a different brand?

C
crow32 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I also have fenugreek and mothers milk tea, are those safe to take in combo with the above suggestion?

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
The birth control pills recommended for the protocol are Ortho 1/35 or Yasmin. I would check with Lenore if you can use the ortho tricycle. You will want to be on the dom and birth control pills for 30 days and then stop taking the birth control pills and continue taking the dom while starting to pump every three hours during the day and at least once during the night. After you are done with the birth control pills (after the 30 days) you can take the fenugreek and tea. I used both of those with no problems. As for the breast pump you need more than the single electric. It doesn't have the power to induce lactation. Medela is a good brand and the pump in style is recommend or the PJ's Limerick is good as well. Sometimes people sell used ones on this site or you can get the Medela Pump in Style at Target or Walmart. Have you looked this page on the site? http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/accelerated_protocol.shtml
Oh and a lot of people get the dom from inhousepharmacy.biz.

C
crow32 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Sounds great! I appreciate the info...
I have been eating tons of oatmeal (good thing I love it cause I eat 3 servings a day), and taking fenugreek for a week - I smell like waffle syrup! Lol smile
Also Mothers milk tea 2-3x a day.
I have my manual parts left over from my Medela, but gave the motor to a friend who's broke... Anyhow, my breasts don't feel any fuller, but, after my shower this morning I decided what the heck, and pumped a few drops from each side - with a manual pump! Gotta be honest, I'm sore from that experience. Omigkah, how'd I used to do this full time with 3 kids lol. Excited though smile
So, may just get a pump, and see if I can avoid birth control for now... They really throw me for a loop emotionally and physically smirk

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
If you decide to not do the protocol I would encourage you to pump and take the dom. The dom will help you build your supply and does not have the side effects of the birth control pills.

C
crow32 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks again smile I've got an appt to talk to my NP about the Dom, but have been doing pretty well so far with just pumping and fenugreek/tea... Obviously I need more, but I'm up to 1/2oz from each/twice a day. I need to pump more, but an waiting for my new electric double pump to arrive, and for my NP appt.

C
experienced member
experienced member
C
How did it go at your NP appointment? Are you still increasing your milk supply?

A
A
Hi!
I am so happy to discover that someone is having the similar situation I am having! I also am beginning to relactate with my 20mos daughter as well, who also has eczema. I'm taking domperidone 4x a day fenugreek, blessed thistle herbs and oatmeal for snacks after every meal from today.
I have a few drips when hand expressing & will be getting medela dual pump on Friday. Since I'm just beginning today, how long do you think it will be until I produce more than dribbles? Please let me know!
Talk with you guys soon! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.