photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DawnL Offline OP
extra helpful experienced member
OP Offline
extra helpful experienced member
Well, it is looking like this is probably a match for us. "R" has met with our agency's pregnancy counselor, and will be meeting with her again on Monday. She called us on Thursday, and wanted to meet us in person, so we went out to dinner with her on Friday night. She is a wonderful person, and I hope she is the one. I would love to have her as part of our family, through open adoption.
Our agency normally doesn't show families to birthparents until they are 7 or 8 months along, and "R" is only 6 months, so they are taking things slow with her. But since she found us online, and asked to meet us, and took the initiative to contact our agency, I think this is it.
So now I am wondering how much milk I should save for our baby. I have about 2,000 ounces right now, and I am still donating to a baby in California. (Thanks, Nona!) I don't know how much to keep for our baby, and in what increments. I know that with Daphne, I used water to make cereal with, and I never measured. I just kept adding until it was the desired consistency. How much breastmilk would I need to set aside for this? Two ounce increments? I won't be away from the baby very often, but what about the occasional bottle, when I am away? Should it be four ounces, six ounces, or eight ounces? I guess it probably depends on the baby, but does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
And please say a prayer for "R", and for this situation. She is very nice, and needs all the prayers she can get right now. And we are really praying that this is the situation we've been waiting for.

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Dawn,
I hope R is the one also, I am so happy for you. Since you will not need to supplement , you certainly will not need your entire stash of 2000 ounces for your baby, esp since you will not need it for daycare providers etc,,as you mentioned, you will not be separated from her. Boy, I only have about 10 ounces in the freezer after almost 2 months of pumping. I had gone up to 1.5 for a couple of days, but am back down to 1/2 ounce per day. Pretty frustrating, and I cannot lose weight on the domperidone. I feel fat and very unproductive!
I don't know what to tell you about how much milk to save for your baby. I am glad you are donating.
A "fall" baby, how nice! Good luck, we will pray for you and your birthmom....Cathy

experienced member
experienced member
Hey Dawn,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I really hope this works out for you.

Lenore usually suggests freezing in one or two oz portions when you're milk supply is as nice and big as yours, just for "topping your baby up" with the Lact-aid if necessary. Most babies need 500-750 mls per 24 hours divided by the number of feedings. That's 17- 26 oz. So if your baby feeds 8 times per day, your baby will need 2-4 oz per feeding. Lenore usually suggests adding an extra oz to a feeding just in case the baby needs it.

Fondly, Lenore

R
R
Dawn,
I just wanted to say congrats! It is so wonderful to meet and talk with the birthmother isn't it. I hope that things continue to go so well for you.

Enjoy the anticipation,
Bella

Idaho
experienced member
experienced member
Idaho
OK, I have been freezing my milk in 6 oz bags and have just hit the 400 oz mark in my freezer. Considering my current daily production, are 6 oz bags about right, or should I think about doing 2 or 4 oz bags now?

Mary in Idaho, mom to 7, including 2 from Korea, and Emily Zion (1�) coming home from Ethiopia in February!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.