photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Becky Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi all, I have a question? A nurse friend of mine told me that the older we get the less good stuff we have in our milk. She wasn't sure what that meant. Do any of you? Is it true? I am an older mom, not decrepit, but older then 37. Is there an age that says yes, your milk will not be any good? I am very concerned as I so much wanted to nurse our babies even with the lact-aid. Thanks, Becky

Idaho
experienced member
experienced member
Idaho
No insult to your friend, but that sounds like utter hogwash to me. I have done tons of reading on breastfeeding and have NEVER heard that. And I have known quite a few over-40 ladies over the years who have had nice chunky fully-breastfed babies.

Mary in Idaho, mom to 7, including 2 from Korea, and Emily Zion (1�) coming home from Ethiopia in February!
extra helpful experienced member
breastmilk from any age mother is good milk....

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Canada
L
L
Canada
Excuse me but this is utter BALONEY!!! I mean no disrespect to your friend...only to whatever nursing instructor from Mars who told her this.

Even starving women in Africa produce 'good' milk. Breastfeeding is "robust", meaning as long as you have breasts and a functioning pituitary, your milk should be just fine. Plenty of grandmothers have fed their grandchildren.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
B
Becky Offline OP
OP Offline
B
A million thanks to all who replyed regarding "old women and breast milk" -ha-ha. I truely was worried and I will tell my nurse friend that she needs to get her information correct before she spouts off. Thanks, again, I can happily continue my pumping looking forward to the day that our babies will replace the pump. Becky

I know of a 60 year old woman who is pumping 14 ounces a day and her milk has 28 percent milk fat! So that tells ya.. breastmilk is breastmilk and good no matter what age...

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Mass
Mass
Wow!!!!
I'm not sure why she would be pumping at 60,but my gosh!!!
Hats off to her!!!!!!

Bio mom to 7 dd is now 17 months!
she has a sick neice who really needs the milk

Mass
Mass
Thats so great that she would do that for her!!!

Bio mom to 7 dd is now 17 months!

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.