Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3188 03/23/04 12:52 AM
Sao Paulo, Brazil
OP Offline
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hello,

Being an Indian cookery aficionado, fenugreek was one of the very few things that sounded absolutely familiar when I started exploring the induced lactation universe - it is in fact one of the most frequently used spices in Indian cuisine.

Question - do you ladies think buying fenugreek seeds from your friendly Indian grocery store is a valid alternative to the capsules?

I suppose it will be harder to finetune the dosage, but then that doesn't seem to be an exact science anyway as far as the herbs are concerned.

Do tell me if I am being a cheapskate here. On the other hand, where I am right know I have no local source of herbs and will in any case have to find the blessed thistle somewhere so any recommendations for companies that ship internationally (Brazil or Germany) will be much appreciated.

My other question is regarding oatmeal - I am sorry, I eat almost anything but have detested the stuff since childhood. Will oatflakes do the job?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

mom to Emma, born June 15th, 2004
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Chris,

You can purchase the fenugreek seed in the grocery store. Start with a teaspoon 3 times per day and see how that goes. If you can't find the blessed thistle, it's not critical. We use it in the protocol because domperidone and fenugreek can cause an upset stomach. Blessed thistle calms the stomach while at the same time helping milk supply. But it's not critical.

Oatmeal is also not critical. If you can't stand it...avoid it and just do the rest of the protocol OK?

Fondly.

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Sao Paulo, Brazil
OP Offline
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Dear Lenore,

Thank you so much for the advice! You always seem to make so much sense...
I'll start on the seeds as soon as I go off the yasmin (blessed thistle as well if I can find it) and I guess I'll give the oatmeal a try - coming to think of it I haven't eaten it since childhood so perhaps it's not as awful as I think!

Love,
Chris

L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Hi Chris:
I'm right in there with you. I have some fenuegreek seeds for tea. And I have access to an Indian grocery store through my neighbor. There's an herb store down the street but I'll see what price they have for Blessed Thistle.

I don't digest oatmeal all that well so I started eating it already to get used to it. I'm on my 2nd month of the protocol and our baby is due, via Surrogacy, this September 11th. The oatmeal tastes rather bland so I suspect you'll do fine. Why not put some cardamon in it? And that delicious brown sugar sorgham.

Let me know how you make out on the herb research. If we have to buy quantity,then it's best to shop around.

Good luck,

LD
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Ladies,

Another option is to buy in bulk from www.vitacost.com. And I think Nona has info on another source. Nona?

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
http://www.herbalcom.com/ for the blessed thistle powder free shipping
http://www.bulkfoods.com for the fenugreek. 5 lbs. powder 11.86 shipping included

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Sao Paulo, Brazil
OP Offline
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ladies,

Thank you so much for all your input!!!

Very iffy about ordering herbs from the US into Brazil as customs here is bound to be a major problem... could end up in jail.

Anyhow, I will be going to Germany on my way to the Philippines where our baby will be born in early June (talk about globalisation...) and will have some sent there and pick it up along with my PIS, which my mother is buying for me - again, hopeless in Brazil.

Loveydovey, thanks for the hint about the cardamom-sounds brilliant. I think we are talking the same language here! Almost nothing you can't make palatable with the right spices-will certainly try it.

I don't know if fenugreek loses its potency when cooked but if it doesn't a nice way of eating it would be with lentils or pulses of any kind - you do not need to make an Indian daal from scratch, fry a little chopped onion and garlic with fenugreek and maybe some ground cumin and coriander, chili and a curry leaf or two and add a can of lentils or chickpeas or whatever you have available - yummy, quick and healthy.

Love,
Chris

talangka #3195 04/11/04 07:08 PM
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Chris:
That sounds dee-lish. I have a package mix of Rava Dosai (pan bread) that I can dip into it. I have fenugreek in my garden which I will harvest and supplement into that recipe. I will still take the capsules for quantity dosage. Don't know if heat kills the constituent and sounds like we can take it on a full stomach so absorption's not affected, right Lenore?

Wow! You really are all around the globe. Now you should have one more stop on your list = India = to try the authentic cuisine. LOL!!!

Take care,
P.S. My name is Chris, too. Christine

LD
LoveyDovey #3196 04/11/04 11:56 PM
Sao Paulo, Brazil
OP Offline
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hey Chris,

Mine's for Christiane. I suspect at some stage they will ask us to start a separate recipe forum... anyway, tell me about the rava dosai - South Indian style dosas are just incredibly good, but I've found all the recipes I've seen so far a little daunting - have you tried the package yet?

BTW, the papaya in the oatmeal was largely due to the fact that I had several slightly over-ripe ones in the fridge - try using whatever yummy fruit you have locally.

Love,
Chris

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.