photo of Lenore Goldfarb
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sao Paulo, Brazil
OP Offline
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hello,

Good news - herb logistics look pretty much sorted having found blessed thistle finally. However, it comes in bulk form, as a dried herb rather than capsules - so what would be the correct dosage? A teaspoon, three times a day at mealtimes together with the fenugreek?

Thanks for your guidance.

BTW, had my first bowl of oatmeal in about two decades this morning and actually quite liked it. Cooked it with a little cardamom and a single clove (thanks for the tip LD - it works!) and mixed with fresh papaya and chopped almonds. Think grated coconut should work nicely as well. I'll do some more experiments.

Chris from Brazil

mom to Emma, born June 15th, 2004
talangka #3372 04/10/04 03:30 AM
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Hi Chris:
Wow! I like your recipe. I think I'll try that although I'm pretty sure we don't have as good of papayas here in California as you do in Brazil.

Glad to see you found the thistle. Was it online? I don't know about the dried leaves dosage. I still have yet to research buying the herbs in bulk.

Enjoy your oats!

LD
extra helpful experienced member
The blessed thistle is extremely bitter. I am not sure how you can take it. Is it the dried herb or the powder? IF its a powder you can put it in empty gelatin capsules. If its not powder.. You can order powder on the net and get it pretty fast.
http://www.herbalcom.com

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Ladies,

Herb dosages are not really all that straight forward. We're fairly sure that taking 3 capsules each of fenugreek and blessed thistle seem to do the trick. I found the blessed thistle was making me VERY hungry and so I cut back to one capsule 3 times per day of the blessed thistle while maintaining the fenugreek at 3 capsules 3 times per day.

When dealing with herbs in bulk form, it's better to be safe than sorry. Probably a teaspoon 3 times per day is sufficient. But like Nona said..blessed thistle is pretty yucky. You might want to mix it with Splenda or something.

Or better yet, Nona found a "capsule" machine. She buys the gelatin capsules and fills them herself. Saves lots of $$$.

Nona, where did you find that capsulator? And the capsules?

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
Lenore #3375 04/11/04 06:56 PM
L
experienced member
experienced member
L
Yes, I am also interested in the capsulator? I'm a do-it-yourself-er and even grow my own fenugreek. Although I will not be using my garden herb for this because I can't calibrate the strength. Better to use the commercial growers for that.

Thanks,

LD
They have both the capsules and the capulaters and tappers at http://www.herbalcom.com. Click on products .. go to capsules. .they are in the middle of the page. Don't forget to get tapper to. .It taps down the herb so you can add more..

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
Nona #3377 04/11/04 11:42 PM
Sao Paulo, Brazil
OP Offline
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ladies,

Again thank you so much - I am afraid I don't even know what form the stuff will come in. My mother ordered it for me through a pharmacy in Germany. I guess I'll have to experiment!

Love,
Chris

talangka #3378 05/03/04 09:15 PM
Sao Paulo, Brazil
OP Offline
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hello again,

Have started taking the herbs now, both in bulk form, the fenugreek as a seed and the blessed thistle as a dried herb.

Am taking a teaspoon each three times a day with meals and it is going well so far. Indeed the blessed thistle is not the tastiest thing on earth, but if you wash it down quickly with a lot of water it really is not a problem to take it this way.

Capsules are probably more convenient, especially if you are out a lot, but taking the herbs this way is definitely feasible as far as I can say.

Love,
Chris

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.