Print Thread
#3382 04/10/04 03:26 AM
L
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
L
Hi
My friend's sister swears that drinking beer helped her milk supply. I've heard this before but thought it was an 'ole wives' tale.

Anybody know about studies on it?
Thanks,

LD
extra helpful experienced member
I've heard this, too. I think it's true......

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen
Idaho
Idaho
I remember hearing this years ago when my now 16 yo was a baby. I think I heard it helps with let down too. I hope someone has some info to share on this, that would be interesting.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Ladies,

It's actually the brewer's yeast in the beer that seems to be the magic ingredient. You can buy brewer's yeast in capsule form. This way you get the benefits without the alcohol content.

Hope this helps. Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
L
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
L
Hi Lenore:
Okay. That makes sense. Do you think Brewer's Yeast is worth adding to the protocol? Is it found to make a big difference? I'd have to test myself on it as I'm an allergy kind of person and might get asthma from yeast.

But if your review finds that it's worth adding, I may test it with the elimination diet style process.

Thank you for your guidance, Sweetie! It is so encouraging. I'm so looking forward to my breastfeeding experience.

LD
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi,

No idea whether there is any research on this, but in Germany this belief is quite widespread. I do believe that this sort of folk belief very often has some sort of basis in fact or at any rate experience - so as long as it falls into the 'won't hurt, might help' category I would try it.

There's quite a variety of cultural backgrounds around here now, why don't we collect some more beliefs that we have come across?

In Colombia, for instance, it's chicken soup. When my Colombian sister-in-law went back to her province to give birth her family killed a chicken for her every day to make soup for fourty days, the traditional postpartum confinement period. Now I'm not starting we all start small-scale poultry farms, but she did have abundant milk and my nephew did and is doing great.

Look forward to hearing your stories,

Love,
Chris

As far as I am concerned I certainly find the idea of having a cold beer at the end of the day to help my milk production not all unattractive...

Love,
Chris

mom to Emma, born June 15th, 2004
MI
MI
Lenore, what form of brewers yeast would you buy and where from. I found some on vitacost, but there are so many forms that I'm confused! When you get a chance, will you please look at the vitacost website and tell me what you recommend to buy? I have been drinking 1 beer every evening for about 2 weeks and have noticed an increase in my milk supply, but would like the option of not drinking a beer every night if possible. Thanks for your time! Sandra

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Ladies,

Fenugreek is still the mother of all galactogogues (milk making herbs) but for those of you who would like to try adding brewer's yeast, here are some websites that my help:

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/Drugs/alcohol.html

and (about the powder)

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/lactation/qas/0,,239801_106320,00.html

and (about the capsules)

http://www.bfar.org/brewers.shtml

Hope this helps. Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.