Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello all,
My Little One has been on a nursing strike for thee and a half weeks. I've tried the Lact-Aid (had been using SNS), bathing, getting him when he's sleepy, switching from Avent bottles to the Playtex Deluxe Nurser that's "clinically proven" to aid in nursing, praying, putting my yummy fresh milk in the supplementer, putting formula in the supplementer, putting donated milk in the supplementer ... going to breastfeeding class each week (the LC I've been going to has a free BF class each week) .... any ideas?

Help!

Mahalo,
Christina

California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Whoops, thought I was logged in ....

Christina ~ Wife of Henry, Jr. and mother of Henry III, born with the help of our Angel/GS
Washington State
Washington State
Christina, have you tried getting him to latch with a nipple shield? That really turned things around with August. I was definately hesitant to try it at first, but I'm sure glad I did!

Mom to 3 yo bio son, ason born September 1!
California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Duh, I will try that tomorrow ... lately he has cried even when I lift my shirt! It's making me really sad!

Christina ~ Wife of Henry, Jr. and mother of Henry III, born with the help of our Angel/GS
extra helpful experienced member
try finger feeding him with the lact-aid. Do your best to NOT use a bottle at all. If he sees it he will want it. Its become to familiar to him. I would finger feed only and cup feed. I know thats hard to do. But its important to get him away from that bottle. You also might try when he is sleepy. I know you said he won't latch. But if you squeeze milk out on his lips he might take it. See if that works. Also if your a SAHM. Try going around without your shirt. Play with him and let him explore you. Hes going to have to get used to it all again. Its not over!

Adoptive mommy to 4 , Last 2 adopted nursed. Youngest nursed till she was 5! Raising 2 grandbabies, as infants they were raised on donor breast milk smile
California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Thanks Nona and Amy ... well ... tried the nipple shield and I've never seen him cry so hard ... it made me feel bad ... like I'm forcing something on him that he doesn't want. I've also tried finger feeding and he refused my finger quite a few times and cried just as much. As for going around topless, we have so many activities that we are doing that it is hard to do that right now ... perhaps that is the reason for the strike ... we are always one the go... it has been hard for me to sit home because he gets so restless ... and in the begining .. these activities were a big part of my nursing support ... ie. I saw a correlation of his latching and going to these activities. Anyway, I will keep trying with the finger feeding, nipple shield and go topless when possible ... maybe right now before I put him down.

Thanks again!

XOXO
C

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Christina,

Have you arranged for a home visit by an IBCLC? You can find one near you here: www.iblce.org Just click on the "About IBLCE" button and the US registry pops up.

The IBCLC can help you with strategies to get your little one back to the breast. I had the same problem with Ethan a few months back but with the help of my fellow LC's we got him going again. It's a pretty common thing. Sometimes getting into the bath with your baby can help to get them on the right track. Lots of skin to skin is very important.

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Thanks, Lenore. I have been going to weekly breastfeeding class that my IBLC offers, and she tells me that she does not think another session will help. Perhaps I should find another? Yikes. I have been bathing with him ... always have. I will try sleeping with my shirt off again ... burr.

Thanks so much ... I'm sticking to my guns .. I am getting a kick out of how some people around me think I should give up already! Oi! Gonna go pump.

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Christina,

Please find another IBCLC who knows what she's doing. It's very unusual for an IBCLC to just give up like that. Also, please avoid the Playtex nursers. They have short stubby nipples that are more similar looking to the breast at rest. In reality your breast tissue elongates in baby's mouth to form a teat. Those Playtex nipples are far too short...fastest way off the breast. The AVENT nipples have a wide base and long nipple which makes it easier to get baby from bottle to breast.

Did you try the Medela Newborn Small Nipple Shield?

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
TN
L
L
TN
Playtex has redesigned the nipple on their nursers. They're now called "Naturalatch". I remember the ones you're talking about, Lenore. My poor son tried and tried and tried and never could get a hold of that thing. That was years ago before I knew of abf!

Jill

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.