Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Hi Lenore and Jill and Everyone,

Okay, I thought I needed to go to a different IBLC but have been through so many, just didn't want to change again. However, I know the one I will go to and I will ask if she will do a house call. Do you think it matters whether the appt is in my home or her office?

As for the Playtex nurser, Lenore, what do you think of Jill's comment ... I vaguely remember the old ones, but the new ones are almost identical to the Avent, but they are much softer and supple like a breast.

Yes, I tried the Medela newborn nipple shield .. I will try it again. I also tried holding the Playtex nipple to my nipple and Henry went for it for about 2 seconds then stopped because he couldn't get any milk out.

Mahalo for your care and concern ... I will get going on the new IBLC.

Christina ~ Wife of Henry, Jr. and mother of Henry III, born with the help of our Angel/GS
Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Hi Christina,

That's great about being able to find another IBCLC. As for the Playtex Nursers, I'm really not happy with them but if it works for you, great!

Fondly,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Thanks, Lenore. Whatever will help Henry get latched is the bottle for me. A new friend that was a milk donor is going to send me her Evenflow bottles .. she said they helped her when her daughter went on a brief strike.

In the meantime, I'll start using the Avent.

Mahalo.

Christina ~ Wife of Henry, Jr. and mother of Henry III, born with the help of our Angel/GS
TN
L
L
TN
Christina,
How is Henry doing? How did you like the Evenflo bottles? Will Henry take the Avent bottles? Levi won't...he won't take the Playtex silicone nipple, either, only the brown one. Talk about picky!

Jill

California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Hi Jill,

Haven't received the Evenflo bottles yet, and he still takes the Avent bottle ... he's a very flexible baby except when it comes to nursing! I notice the brown Playtex nipples are softer than the silicone ... more pliable I guess is the key description. Henry likes both the brown and the clear silicone Playtex Premier nipples

Anyway, the new IBLC gave me some homework and I admit I have not been a good student .. inlaws just arrived today to visit and I have a nasty cold and have just felt a bit defeated lately. I've got to get my ch`i back in order here. I'm still not giving up ... but since you asked a status .. that's what it is today! I guess every day is not rosy in the nursing department here. Other than nursing woes, Henry is doing great. He is such a happy baby .. I am very blessed. He is 22 pounds by the way ... 7 months old!

Thanks for asking, Jill.

Aloha,

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Christina,

We're in the same boat. Ethan went on a nursing strike this week. He's teething and even had trouble taking a bottle. Now if I wasn't an LC I would have thought that perhaps he was weaning himself but we know that's not the case. So got my pump out and rescued my milk supply which was rapidly going south. And today he latched again. He only took one side and konked out but it's a start.

My point is not to give up. Try again when you're feeling better and when Henry is sleepy. It's easier to get a sleepy baby back to the breast.

Fondly,

Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.
California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Whew! Glad to hear Ethan is back on and you rescued your supply. My supply is shaky right now too .. I found the decongestant affected it and I should have known better!

Got the Evenflo bottles today and tried one tonight and Henry refused it ... I take that as a good sign as perhaps that means it is more like the breast. Anyway, will try some more in the morning and all day tomorrow and so on. Anyway, off to bed to get some rest and get on the mend.

Thanks for the encouranging words, Lenore.

California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Well, I've not been on the boards in a while .. thought you all would like to know that I have pretty much accepted that Henry did wean himself quite early ... about 6 months old. He is nine months tomorrow .. hard to believe. I tried the Adiri nurser too. I am still pumping and plan to until he is 12 months old.

Many thanks for your support and suggestions. It really means a lot to know that so many people care.

Aloha,
Christina

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Christina,

You can still continue to offer your breast. Henry may surprise you and take it. Ethan's nursing stike lasted a little over a week. Now, every time he sees me he makes a beeline for me and tries to lift my shirt!!

I really thought it was over when Ethan went on strike but it turned out that he was only teething. He's since had another episode like that one that only lasted a couple of days.

He's starting to truly wean now and so he only nurses three times a day and is moving onto a cup. He's almost 14 months old. This is a fairly normal pattern of behaviour for a baby this age. I'm taking it very slow because this is my last baby (I'm 45 and so the shop is closed) and I really want to relish my time with him as a breastfeeding mother-baby duo.

If it's any consolation, I had a heck of a time with Adam in the beginning. And he went through several breast refusals. In the end we made it to 8 months and then I had to stop so that I could jump back on the infertility treadmill.

I had a bit of a hard time in the beginning with Ethan because of his oral anatomy. Breastfeeding really hurt for the first month until his mouth grew a little larger and I became more capable....see even lactation consultants can have a hard time when it's their own baby. I'm very happy that I stuck it out and made it to this point but it was rough, especially when he was not sleeping through the night....he didn't sleep through the night until he was a year old!!! And now Adam is waking up at 3 am to crawl into bed with me because he's at the age when they get night terrors.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you so that you would know that you're not alone honey.

Fondly,

California
C
experienced member
experienced member
C
California
Hi Lenore (and the whole board!),

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I love hearing yours and everyone's stories. Actually, I do still hope he'll change his mind and still do offer the breast once in a while. As a matter of fact, he is teething right now ... the top left tooth just cut through today.

Yet another lactation consultant told me she thinks I'm nuts for still trying and that I should give up pumping too (given that I have donated milk). I told her even though I'm only producing 2-3 ounces per day ... it's fresh .. and that is so much better for him than frozen. She responded by saying that she thought it was more important that I just focus on him and enjoy him. I then responded by saying that I am more than enjoying him and pumping is only about a half hour out of my day and that it is well worth it to me. Then I went on to tell her there is a benefit to me to pump until 12 months as my father had breast cancer and lactating until 12 months+ significantly reduces ones risk of premenopausal breast cancer. That kept her quiet.

Oi! I know she meant well, but if I didn't have you all, I would sure feel lonely out there!

Mahalo and Happy Holidays!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.