Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#580 01/15/03 08:36 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone,
Just checking in. I could use some feedback/encouragement--the pumping is getting old. I was on the protocol for 19 weeks, started pumping in Aug. when we thought we had a good chance of a baby coming. By the time that possibility fell through, I was well established with pumping and decided to continue. I pumped 6-7 times per day thru Nov., and was getting 20 ounces per day. After an exhausting Thanksgiving trip (pumping in airport restrooms, etc) and repeated plugged ducts I was ready to back off. Lenore recommended Lecithin supplements which cleared up the plugged duct problem and allowed me to reduce my pumping schedule. I also decided to back off on domperidone. I am taking 60mg/day, pumping just 3 times per day and still getting 15-17 ounces per day. Pumping less has helped but I am still pretty weary of it all, and we still don't have a match. Sometimes I think about quitting and just using my expressed milk in a lactaid when the baby comes, but my production has been so persistent that I think quitting would be a project in itself. Anyway the protocol has obviously been a success for me, but the wait is hard.
Thanks for listening.
Cindy

extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
Hi, Cindy!
Thanks for the update! We are not matched at this time, either, and I am about to stop the protocol later this month. I am afraid I may be in your position in a few months time. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. All I can think of is to encourage you to know what's best for you. I think if I get in your position, I will go down to three pumping sessions a day, also. And possibly cut the dom down.
Keep us updated, and I will pray you get a match soon!
DawnL

wife to Jim, mommy to Daphne and Jeran and Jalen
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cindy,
I agree with Dawn, maybe you should cut back even more. We waited for about two years in the USA and no match, so we are pursuing Guatemala. Isn't your first daughter from there also? We were told our referral for a newborn girl will take anywhere from 3 days to 4 weeks, and then the paperwork will take about 4 months. I know it is not the same as getting a newborn baby, but we were tired of the wait. I did the protocol for 4 months 1.5 years ago and our domestic adoption fell through, and like I said, we are tired of waiting,,,,not getting any younger you know! The only thing is that this week, we really need to decide if we also want a referral for a boy also. We keep going back and forth about it. We wanted a brother for our son, but just want to make sure 3 kids will not be too hard for us, esp. adopting one older and living in GU for about 8 weeks with the two of them may be a bit tricky...we'll see. I hope I can pump 20 ounces a day like you! I am on day 88 of diane and 5 months on domperidone. You should be matched soon! Are you specifying another Hispanic child? Are you specifying gender? This could make your wait longer,,,they told us in the US if we specified a girl, it would be a two to five year wait!
I think you could cut down a little on the domperidone and pumping and let us know how it goes. Good luck .
Cathy

#583 01/16/03 10:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi,
Thanks for your responses. Our first adoption was domestic. Our dd is African American and Caucasian. This time (as with last time) we are asking for any race, any gender. We only waited 2 1/2 months last time, so our expectations are a little skewed. Anyway, we'll see what happens, and I will continue to cut back gradually if we don't have any possibilities in the works.
thanks again,
Cindy

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.