Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope someone can help me. I gave birth to twins at 30weeks gestation exactly 3 weeks ago. I have just finished a 15day cycle of Reglan and have been going through withdrawal symptoms all day today. I pump every 2 hours for about 10 minutes. I am renting a Ameda hospital-grade pump that allows me to double-pump. I am LUCKY if I get an ounce to an ounce and a half per pumping session. This amount seems very low to me.

Of course, I am unable to ffeed my twins who are currently in the NICU and will be for a few more weeks yet, exclusively with breastmilk. This was also my 3rd pregnancy. I bf'd my first for about 6 weeks and gave up. NEver pumping. BF'd my second who was born at 34 weeks for about 2 weeks. MY milk dried up due to extreme stress at the time. I am bound an ddetermined to make this work. I would love nothing more than to be able to feed BOTH my children exclusively breastmilk.

I just ordered Domperidone today but won't receive for a couple of weeks. My pumping ability has gone down today and I don't know how much of that has to do with my withdrawal symptoms or true withdrawal from the medication leaving my body and my inability to produce enough milk on my own without meds.

I am also currently on Zoloft...100mg/daily. Does this affect supply?

As I stated above, I am renting a Ameda pump. I had to buy their custom flanges which accomodate larger breasts due to my nipples rubbing up against the flange with the breast shields that come with the kits. Yet, even still my nipples HURT when using the largest breastshield. My areola is not completely engulfed by the flange, but rather a 1/3 or so is left on the outside of the flange when the pump is sucking. This leads to the major part of my areola that IS being sucked along with my nipple, to become swollen. It is quite painful. Am I doing this right? I have tried a smaller breastshield as well as an areola stimulator made from silicone.....no luck. I get practically NO milk that way. I seem to get the most milk with the largest size breast flange, but also the most pain.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

There is no lactation consultant in my area. No joke. I live in a small town and even our hospital(which, is a rather nice size because it accomodates many many outlying areas) doesn't have a lactation consultant on the payroll.

Canada
L
extra helpful experienced member
extra helpful experienced member
L
Canada
Congratulations on the birth of your babies!! I have a lot to say but not enough room as the post would be too long, please email your telephone number to me at lenore@asklenore.info and I'll be happy to call you.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.