Print Thread
#7344 06/18/06 04:30 AM
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Hello!

I have had three children of my own, two of whom I breastfead for 6months each, and one we lost in early infancy. I had lots of milk for them, I was able to pump 10oz out of each side. And, I had chubby babies too! LOL.

Do you think I have time to build a milk supply before our adoptive baby is due?? The birthmother is due Aug 2nd, but is begging the doctor for an earlier induction, I am guessing he gives in around the middle of July. So, that only leaves me about 30 days!!!

I have a Pump in Style, and have started using that. I used to live in Canada, and am now just in Michigan, so I made an appointment to see my old family doctor there to get the Domperidone. I go on Wednesday for the prescription. I got one drop out of my right breast after 2 days of pumping, but nothing in the last 4 days. My breasts definately feel different, when I am getting ready to pump they feel like they did not long before my bio children where getting ready to eat. But, no milk. I know it is too early to be frustrated, but I am anyway!!

Thanks,
Kristen

Idaho
extra helpful experienced member
Idaho
Welcome Kristen. Here is what we suggest for Moms who are short on time. You can do the accelerated protocol. You can find that info here: http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/accelerated_protocol.html if you can't take the bcp for whatever reason you can take dom and herbs and pump on a newborn feeding schedule until your baby arrives. You can nurse with a lact-aid system with formula or breastmilk and pump after feeds. You definitely have time. Read the protocol and come back with any questions. There are lots of very helpful ladies here.
How long has it been since you nursed?

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
Hello!

I had problems with low progesterone when I was pregnant, until about 14 weeks... so in order to carry a pregnancy my doctor made sure I always have a supply of progesterone at home, that way if I got pregnant I coudl start right away and not worry about setting appointments to start it.

Do you think I could just use that? It is a progesterone suppository, any thoughts would be great!

I have an appointment with my old Canadian doctor to get the domperidone, that is tomorrow, but I called for an appointment with my American doctor for the b/c, and the nearest appointment isn't until the beginning of July... just wondering if you think it would be ok.

Anyway, here's the info on the progesterone package:
Crinone 8% gel
Dose delivered: 1.125g gel

Thanks!

Thanks!

Idaho
Idaho
I will have to let Lenore answer on that.
You can get the Yasmin online through www.globaldrug.tv I believe. I think there is another website too. Maybe one of the others ladies here will chime in. I think it is the ratio of progesterone to Estrogen that is the important thing.

Laurie~Craig's wife~Mom to 4 blessings nurtured at the breast CJ(24)Travis(21)Beka~adopted(9)Rab(6)
M
experienced member
OP Offline
experienced member
M
ahh... progesterone/estrogen mix, I see... I was hoping to get the steps going asap, since the baby may be induced as early as July 12th. Maybe I can convince my old canadian doctor to give me a prescription for both. He said he'd do the domperidone for me, as a favor, since I don't really go to see him anymore, and I don't have OHIP anymore, I would only be taking 5 minutes of his time and he didn't mind.

Canada
L
L
Canada
Hi Kristen,

Welcome and congratulations on your impending arrival.

Most mothers tend to follow our recommendations as described in our guide to the protocols that Lalle has provided the link for. The hormone levels needed to induce lactation are far lower than those needed to maintain a pregnancy. The progesterone suppositories have much more progesterone hormone than you will need but at the same time, no estrogen. Too much of a good thing can work against you.

In our experience, either the Ortho 1/35 or Yasmin used in conjunction with domperidoen should do the job.

Best,

Lenore Goldfarb, Ph.D.,CCC,IBCLC
Wife to Rob, Mom to Adam aged 13, and Ethan aged 9, both born via GS and breastfed via Regular Newman-Goldfarb Protocol.

Moderated by  Admin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics3,354
Posts15,682
Members1,904
Most Online328
Jan 10th, 2023
Forum Rules · Mark All Read Contact Us · Forum Help · home

If you value this service, kindly consider a donation to the Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation (registered charity). Earmark the donation for the International Breastfeeding Centre (Newman Breastfeeding Clinic) and/or the Goldfarb Breastfeeding Program.

Donate online: canadahelps.org

Donate by mail: Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation, 5890 Monkland Ave, Suite 16, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4A 1G2.

© 2002-2019 Dr. Lenore Goldfarb, PhD, CCC, IBCLC, ALC and contributing authors to AskLenore.info. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: All material provided in asklenore.info is provided for educational purposes only. Consult your physician regarding the advisability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your individual situation.